𝟎𝟑

loud banging awoke her. chelsea didn't move for several seconds, not even opening her eyes. she was still too tired to even think.

"i can't believe you let her lock herself in, newt!" definitely gally's voice.

"i can't believe you think banging on the door repeatedly will make her want to come open it!" newt yelled back.

chelsea realised she wasn't going to get any more rest, especially with the amount of light pouring in through the cracks in the structure. she threw the blanket off her and pushed her pillows back. she set her feet on the ground and allowed herself a second to gather strength to get up. she pushed her chest forwards and felt her back crack with a satisfactory sound. she took her time as she stretched her sore muscles from sleeping on the hard dirt all night, then forced herself to walk to the door. all the while, gally kept pounding on it.

"hey, open up in there!"

she finally made it up to the door.

"back away!" she roared through the cracks. "get away from the door or i swear i'll never open it. i'll starve in here if i have to." she wouldn't starve herself, she'd sneak out at night and get food. "then what would you do without your precious gathering hall?"

"she's lying," gally said immediately, not to her. then, addressing her through the door, "i'll bash the door in if i have to, you shank!"

"watch your language!" chelsea screamed, though she had no idea what that word meant.

"i don't think you're helping, gally," newt said with a sigh. "just get back." there was shuffling, then newt called to her. "chelsea? it's newt. you trust me, right?" did she? she met the boy yesterday. "gally's back from the door, and i am, too." then she heard some slight shuffling as he moved. she peered through a crack in the door and saw that they both were back. alby was walking up, so she decided to open the door.

newt looked very relieved when she finally stood in the doorway, eyeing the three of them uncertainly.

"you alright?" newt asked, then his brow furrowed. "that scratch isn't looking too good, will you go to the med-jacks now?"

"stop babying her, newt," gally snapped, then started walking gruffly towards her.

immediately her eyes widened in fear and she stepped back, slamming the door just as gally reached out to block it. they fought furiously for a second.

"gally back off!" alby yelled, and after a second chelsea felt the pressure on the door leave. lucky thing, too, he was about to win. she would have been thrown down the steps from the force of the large boy. she fell against the door and locked it again, breathing heavily.

"good job, you shank!" newt yelled. "she was already opening it, and you had to go and scare her!"

"i'm not scared!" chelsea yelled at them, though she was lying.

"hey, hey, that's enough," alby said firmly. then there was a gentle tapping on the door. "chelsea? can we come in? or maybe you could come out?"

"we shouldn't have to ask," gally growled. he was ignored.

chelsea once again tentatively opened the door. this time gally was standing farther back, and alby was a few feet away. he smiled at her when she reappeared. "that'a girl," he murmured, making her narrow her eyes suspiciously. "breakfast is ready," alby told her. her stomach rumbled as though waiting for those words. apparently he heard it because his smile widened. "c'mon, let's go." i've asked newt to keep you in the gardens for now, until you get a bit of a better feel for the place." chelsea just looked at newt, who had crossed his arms and was putting all his weight on one leg as he watched her.