Home

Sitting in a life suctioning black dress with an infant asleep in the crook of each arm on my parents old vinyl loveseat was very much the opposite of how I thought I'd be spending my last day of summer. The entire day had been a dark, depressing cloud that hung heavily over our family. A lot of personal space invaded and condolences from relatives I hadn't seen in over a decade, all while trying to tend to both infants before their wail could disrupt the service. During the burial I had to leave the ceremony because Michaela wouldn't stop crying; not that it was a huge complaint on my part, I hadn't wanted to attend the service to begin with. It wasn't going to bring Maya back, my sister's life and soul had long since left the still body they lowered into the ground.

       My parents had forced me to go; their picture-perfect family image and reputation would be damaged far more than it already had if I was a no show. Not to mention my parents were already very much on the fence about the twins, especially since nobody, including myself, had the slightest idea who their father was, therefore no idea where he was at.

      As people began to file out of the house now, I felt the heavy weight that'd been on my shoulders all afternoon finally ease up. My mother was starting to clear the kitchen table of all the different beverages and assortments that everyone had picked at as they chattered quietly all night. It was just as I sat up, ready to lay the babies down, that a tall figure stepped into the doorway, half his face shadowed my the dark night since our porch light had gone out a few weeks ago.

       "I'm so sorry I'm late." The husky voice cutting through the melancholy violin ballads blasting from my brother's speaker jolted my Mom in the dining room. A plate slipped from her grip, but in a quick, swift movement Parker Reed lurched forward and caught it seconds before it could hit the floor. Setting it back on the white linen place mat, Parker stretched out his other arm and circled it around my mother's frail frame and hugged her against him.

        Parker Reed was as much of a son to my parents as Darren. He'd been Maya and I's childhood best friend who slowly evolved into solely hers. As soon as we'd entered the hell called high school, they had found they still shared the common interests that I hated. Low and behold, a few months into ninth grade Parker was on the football team and Maya his beautiful, athletic best friend. He'd kept me at arms length through the four years, but our relationship was never more than a nod in the hallway or a brush of our shoulders when he threw himself down on the couch next to me when he'd crash at Maya's place.

         "Oh honey, look at you." Mom whispered, touching her hand to Parker's cheek with the weakest of smiles. "You've grown up so much."

       Couldn't say I disagreed with that notation. Though Park had always been the perfect All American poster boy with his messy blonde hair, muscles for days, and those hazel eyes that in the right lighting melted into a beautiful puddle of gold with green flecks, he'd definitely found himself this past six months. A five o' clock shadow had begun to take residence on a once clean shaven baby face, aging him a good few years. The arm that was still draped over my mother had a fresh, intricate tattoo that hadn't been there at graduation three months ago. But what my mother was referring to was the same sad, depressed look that darkened his eyes and casted his once lively face into an emotionless mask.

        "Mr. Foster!" Parker greeted my father as soon as Dad entered the dining room from the hallway. My dad slapped a hand against Park's shoulder on his way into the kitchen, avoiding any further conversation.

        Just when I thought I'd be able to evade him, Max started to stir and seconds later started crying. Parker, finally looking in my direction, blinked rapidly, as if the action would erase me from existence.

        "I. . . I didn't know you. . ." he trailed off, reaching up to rub the back of his neck with an uncomfortable expression.

            her avoidance of his calls and presence in general, I'd been left trying to keep their friendship from becoming a dumpster fire. I'd texted Parker every excuse in the book as to why Mia couldn't see him. Now, watching the roulette of emotions flashing through his eyes, I understood why my sister had wanted to keep it secret.