Chapter 1

The war for the Titan had been fought for almost a century. Ninety-six years had passed since Einishe declared war on the kingdom of Duunia, both nations violating their sacred treaty. The agreement specified that no ruling government would claim the fertile lands of the Titan and that the once fiery island in the middle of the Nua Sea would remain uninhabited. But after years of peace, greed prevailed.

Princess Tala of Duunia decided sometime in her youth that she would be the one to end the war. Unlike her forefathers before her, she would not default to violence and bloodshed but instead, negotiate as civil beings were meant to. Despite the brutal and inhumane ways of the Einish, Tala believed that anyone could be won over—anyone could be bought for the right price.

Even as her tutors continued to educate her on Duunian naval maneuvers and raid tactics at her father's insistence, Tala committed to her work as a diplomat. By adulthood, she had gained a reputation in the archipelago as her father's opposite—a reputation her father did not take lightly.

Toward the end of the storm season in Tala's twenty-second year, King and Princess sat on opposite ends of a large dining table, eating an entirely silent meal save for the wind that howled just outside the straw shutters. Age did not become the King. His dark hair had grown thin, and his face was worn by the sun. He wore simple linen houseware that only amplified his round stomach and short stature. Yet despite it all, a calculated wit lurked behind his dark eyes.

Tala resembled him enough but had inherited the delicate grace of her mother. She had the same golden brown skin and dark eyes, with full lips that quietly parted for mouthfuls of rice. Her hair was pulled back in a simple knot at the base of her neck.

King Ilhim set his cup down and cleared his throat, causing Tala to jump.

"We need to talk," Ilhim said simply.

Tala's heart practically leaped into her throat as she considered every grievance her father may have. Perhaps he wishes to continue my lessons in warfare, she thought, or maybe he'll send me to command the forces of another island for practice once the storms end.

"My ear is yours," she said, her voice giving no indication of the nerves that gnawed at the back of her throat.

"You are my sole heir," he started, "and for that, you are my pride and joy." Tala's satisfaction diminished as she braced for his next words. "But you cannot rule this kingdom alone."

Her stomach sank, the food she had just enjoyed now threatening to turn on her. "I don't understand."

"I intended to find you a husband, so that you may rule Duunia with support and ensure that our bloodline continues. I have already begun hearing out suitors."

"And you did not consult me first?" Tala asked, her voice straining with emotion. How could he seek out her potential husband without even asking her opinion? Surely she should have some say in the matter.

"The responsibility to choose our next king should fall only on the shoulders of the current king," he said. "Do you not trust my judgment? Do you doubt the wisdom of your king?"

"No, father," Tala said quickly, averting her gaze. "You are not yet old. I don't understand why we must discuss this now."

"Because you are young and you must carry the weight of Duunia on your back as our ancestors did before us. To rule is not simply to supply and defend. There are sacrifices that must be made. Our people need to know that their lives will be protected by our line."

Tala could feel her anger rising, a sensation she hadn't prepared for. "You would not arrange a marriage had you bore a male heir."

Ilhim laughed apathetically. "Had I bore a son we would not need to secure a marriage to legitimize our rule. The sharks will come regardless, Tala. Your mother is not here to bear the alternative."