Covered Up at the Front Door

My name's Rachel, I'm 10 years old, and I live at Meadowlands Orphanage for Girls.  My parents passed away in a car accident the day after my 10th birthday and I never knew my extended family.  Plus my older sister was very abusive to me.  After I moved into the orphanage, I found myself in a family setting as I walked in the door with the headmistress.  When I first walked in, my sheet from home was over my face, so I could only hear the orphans talking about me, referring to me as the "new kid".

     The headmistress kept me covered up from head to toe over my face with my sheet from home for the first 8 weeks I was at the orphanage.  Since I have no family and an abusive older sister that will fight for custody of me, I can't go home.  My placement in the orphanage was justified by my treatment at my older sister's hands.  Soon, my first week at the orphanage was over and I was still covered up over my face with my sheet from home.

     All the orphans at the orphanage acted very arrogant at first but later treated me as one of their own and developed a friendship and family-like bond with me as my reveal drew near.  Soon, 4 weeks passed and the orphans got anxious for my reveal, but I was afraid to reveal and wanted two more weeks, which the headmistress granted.  After 6 weeks, I was still afraid, so I got two more weeks covered up.  After 8 weeks, I decided it was time to reveal.