First Encounter

Taehyung  took a sip of his soda before he set it down. His fingers slid idly over the condensation on the glass as he stared around the restaurant at all of the happy couples. He was seated at a small table in the back, which was obviously not a prime date location, which was fine because he wasn't on one. Even if it was Valentine's Day.

Especially because it was Valentine's Day.

Instead of being holed up in his apartment where he'd spent the sappiest holiday of the year last year, he was at the closest restaurant to his apartment, Eden's Cafe. He actually liked the food here; the burgers were great, and they had bottomless fries and soda. Juhun always nagged him, saying he was going to get fat eating there but he did enough swimming and working out that, so far, he didn't carry a spare inch over his sculpted six pack.

Not that it mattered; he didn't have anyone to impress anyway.

Taehyung  sighed. He knew he was acting like a whiny queen, but he really didn't want to be out watching all the loving couples exchanging gifts and kisses. They were all fooling themselves anyway; the whole institution of forever love was a crock. He'd realized that when his last lover up and left him two years ago to the day. Of course, that was also when Taehyung  had called him and found out from the twink he was screwing that his so called partner was a cheating asshole.

All because his ex couldn't handle the fact that Taehyung  was close to his best friend. He had been convinced that the only way two men could be that close was if they were screwing each other. Right.

So he was fine with one night stands. He didn't need any relationships. Of course, once his kind found their mates they were trapped. Biology paired two Catleral up and then they were stuck with each other. Love didn't have squat to do with it. Taehyung  didn't want to have anything to do with mating either; it brought nothing but trouble.

Taehyung  looked up, hoping his food would be there soon. Since he'd been forced to come out, he figured he might as well treat himself and order the deluxe burger and a double serving of fries. He'd been waiting for a good twenty minutes, but then again, every table in the place was full; the cooks were probably swamped.

He was staring toward the front of the cafe when a large man came in, ducking down to fit through the door. Taehyung 's eyes widened; the man was immense. There was no way there were two guys in town that big. He had to be the same one Taehyung  had watched from his living room window early that morning.

The medium length hair just brushing the man's shoulders was the same too. That had been what had caught Taehyung 's eyes at first, the way the rare February sun glinted on his hair and made it shine like liquid gold. Then it had been the impressive width of his shoulders under his black coat that made Taehyung  itch to grab hold and nibble on them as he rode the man. His walk had been confident as he moved down the sidewalk; like he had somewhere to be and he'd get there no matter what. He could only imagine what the man's body would look like in bed, moving over him.

Taehyung  had watched until he turned the corner and was lost to sight.

Now that same man was moving toward him with the same confident strut. He couldn't ogle the muscular ass moving under the jeans that fit him just right, but every step pressed strong thighs against the thin material. Taehyung  licked his lips subconsciously as his stare finished traveling up the tall body until he met the stranger's eyes.

He stiffened, then jerked his eyes away to stare at the dessert menu on the little table display.

"Ahem." A female cleared her throat right next to him.

Taehyung  looked up reluctantly. "Yes?" Please don't let her ask what he thinks she is going to ask. He completely ignored the man standing beside the hostess he hadn't even seen approaching.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but all the other tables are full. I was wondering if you would mind sharing yours with Mr. Jungkook?"

Taehyung  could feel heat prickling his face. Share his table with the same guy who had just caught him ogling? He didn't risk glancing up; he expected a glare or worse, because now that they were standing next to him, Taehyung  could tell he was no man.

Taehyung  pushed his chair back from the table and moved to stand. He would just give the male his table.

"It's alright." The deep rumbling voice sounded as if it came straight from the wide chest. "No harm to you is intended, I promise. I would appreciate sharing your table, but you don't have to leave."

The hostess frowned as she glanced between them. Taehyung  hesitated to agree or leave, but someone at his table would be good in case Jimin waltzed by on his way to the party he was going to. It would almost make his lie of a blind date true.

There was something strange about the scent filling his nostrils that urged him to stay as well.

"I'm just here for dinner."

Most Tigers would have been offended that Taehyung  hadn't taken them at their word when they promised no harm would come to him, but the strange male's voice wasn't angry. In the clans a male's honor was rigorously defended, any slight called out and dealt with; often by violence.

Taehyung  was glad they were in public; the male would hardly attack here, but he had to make a decision and do it immediately. Even if the larger male hadn't taken offense before, he might if Taehyung  waited much longer to extend an invitation for him to sit down.

"Mr. Kim?"

Clearing his throat, Taehyung  spoke, still not quite sure of his decision, "Please sit down."

He wanted to be ready just in case, so he didn't push his chair closer to the table as the large male sat down. "Please have the cooks hold my food until Mister. . .Jungkook was it?" He glanced at the male from the corner of his eye, seeing him nod. "Until Mr. Jungkook's order has been taken and prepared. I'd hate to be rude and eat in front of a hungry man."

The truth was that he'd hate to have his head taken off for eating before the larger Catleral. A male might let a female with cubs share his food or perhaps even eat first, but he knew better than to risk it.

"Not a problem. A-Ra will be with you in a moment and can take your order." She set the menu in her hands down on the table in front of the large male.

Taehyung 's hands were clenched together under the table as the hostess walked away. He could really use a drink of his soda to wet his bone dry mouth, but he didn't dare reach for it.

"You don't have to act like that," Mr. Jungkook told him. "I'm not feral or going to hurt you or anything."

He just gave a jerky nod. Sure he wouldn't.

There was a loud sigh. "You're a clan Tiger, aren't you?"

"No," Taehyung  paused and the continued in a bitter voice, "not anymore."

"But you were? That's why you're so afraid of me? Think all the rumors are true, do you?" The male's voice was rising in anger already, and his hands were clenching into fists. So much for Taehyung  not having anything to fear from him.

Taehyung 's leg muscles tensed at the disdain and anger in the man's voice. His hands were folded together so hard to hide the trembling it made his fingers ache. He didn't say anything.

"Well?"

He wanted an answer. Taehyung  took in a shuddering breath. Why this restaurant? 

Why tonight?

Matras, he hated Valentine's Day!