Chapter 17 - (Part 2)

The room is bigger than Blomst's office, its walls pitch black with white, shining dots that reminds me of stars. Filled bookcases stands closely together and one desk is located in the middle of the room. There sits a boy with black hair, and behind him a large three wall window. The middle section is the biggest, and the two other ones are smaller, making the room shaped like an octagon. Outside of the windows I see planets, stars, and galaxies. I doubt it's real. This must be another magic trick, no matter how breathtakingly beautiful it is.

The boy stands up and straightens the black suit, it shines like a clear night sky. His eyes are the same, pitch black with only speckles of white, shining dots. He doesn't look much older than ten years old, but he has the same ancient feeling – if not even older and more powerful – as Sun.

No matter how young he look, I know that he is older than I could fathom. That Clover would even think I'd be dumb enough to treat him like a child is to put it mildly – insulting. For a moment I wonder if I should even bow in his presence. The feeling he gives is completely different from the other guardians I met.

"Saturn," Clover says after a long time of silence.

"Sit down," the young-looking guardian answers.

Three chairs grow out from the floor, just as black as most things in this room.

We sit down. Even Meeri seems uncomfortable in Saturn's presence. The guardian's desk is free from paper, not at all as messy as Blomst had it. It feels unpleasant to stare into the star-marked eyes, so I focus on his forehead where a crescent moon and two circles are placed.

"Two apprentices, Clover?" he asks and raises his eyebrows.

"Yes, I don't know how it happened."

I don't think I've ever heard him speak with such a respectful tone before.

"It's not the first time it happens. It's not impossible," Saturn says and Clover grimaces his mouth.

"And who will handle her apprenticeship?"

"You will. You know the rules. The soul wanderer that carried the contract carries the responsibility for the soul you bring back. There's no difference even if you happen to have two souls to teach," Saturn says, and the tone sounds stricter. "Besides, Orchid will soon be over with her apprenticeship. If it makes things easier for you, you can see it as an extension."

I had expected it to take a few more weeks before I'd be let go as Clover's apprentice. I'm not sure if I feel relief or disappointment for it almost being over.

"But with a new apprentice," Clover adds.

Meeri tenses up as she meets Saturn's dark eyes.

"Has he told you what it means being a harvester?"

Meeri looks at Clover with a confused expression.

"He's talking about Soul wanderers. Harvesters is a very old name for it." He turns to Saturn. "I've told her everything."

"Good, then we can begin," Saturn says and puts his hand at the desk, with his palm upwards. Meeri is written on his pale skin. He moves his fingers over it, first it smears out the black color, and then slowly it turns into a new name written in his palm. Eclipse.

"Your hand," he says.

She hesitates for a few seconds before she carefully extends her arm. He pushes his hand against hers. Meeri's expression turns into confusion, thereafter it's like her world had been split into two.

I hated that part. How desperate I had felt once the memories flooded back, knowing that one day they'd truly be gone.

Meeri – or Eclipse as Saturn had named her – sits quietly with a painful expression. I doubt it's because she'll forget. What occupies her face speaks of something else. It looks like she went through all that pain she had to endure throughout her life. She breathes quick, sharp breathes and blinks a few times, like she's trying to get her eyes to focus.

"You'll forget everything soon," says Saturn and pulls his hand away from hers.

There is something in the pale and expressionless face that wasn't there before, so faint I barely notice it. It disappears too quickly for me to understand what it was.

"Thank you," she says.

In her palm Eclipse is written in the same black, beautiful letters. They slowly fade into the skin.

When I look at her it's hard to think of her as Meeri. Each time I think of her name my thoughts drift to Eclipse. I want to try and say her living name out loud, just to make myself remember it even if she wants to forget. It's for my own sake. When I can no longer remember my own name, I can console myself with the knowledge of the name of someone who once lived. But I don't dare to say it out loud, not in front of Saturn.

"Is... Is that all?" she asks and the peaceful smile she had worn earlier is no longer there.

"No."

Saturn opens one of the desk's drawers and elegantly places a black box in front of us.

While it's not the same one that Blomst had given me, I know that the Stormcoin is inside. I had placed my own box in a bookcase in my room. I hadn't touched it once. I won't need it until I'm done with the apprenticeship, and I have no desire to even open it until I have use of it. I have a feeling if I open it I won't be able to close it again.

Eclipse opens the box without a single word from Saturn. She won't touch it and keeps her eyes peeled on the light.

"It's a Stormcoin."

"What is that?"

She leans closer and hold the top of her fingers towards the edge of the desk.

"It gives humans a second chance. Each year you have the opportunity to give it to one soul."

Eclipse moves her gaze away from the light and gives Saturn a perplexed expression.

"You force the soul back into the vessel," he continues.

She leans back but her loose grip around the desk's edge grows tighter.

"It gives it back... Just like that? How does it work?"

By the slight annoyed shuffling, Saturn couldn't have expected to be questioned the logic behind the coin.

"No," he sighs and closes his eyes for a few seconds before he continues, "it can be more complicated. If there is too little left of the vessel, or if it's damaged to the point that there is not possible for the humans to save it, for example, a headless vessel, then the Stormcoin is worthless. It could also depend on how the human dies, you might have to do something in the humans' world. That could mean getting someone to find them if they're in need of medical treatment. We cannot help too much. Our – and yours – effect cannot be noticed in the humans' world."

Once he finishes his speech, he closes the box and pushes it towards Eclipse.

"Your new home will be in the world of the Eleven." He turns to Clover. "That should make it easier for you. And Orchid, Blomst is expecting to meet you in her personal waiting room."

Clover begins speaking, "we can go there after we–"

"There's no need," Saturn interrupts and Clover jerks back slightly. "You will show Eclipse the Eleven. Blomst only want to speak to Orchid. It's best for her to get used to not have your supervision. I'll make a door for you both."

Saturn creates two doors on the bare wall. The first one is coal black covered in stars, while the other is an old door made of dark wood and coated in moss. Branches reaches out through the floor and clings to the door. It's quite easy to tell which one is mine.

Saturn opens the door for me with a swift hand movement. The branches creak as they're moved aside.

"You know how impatient Blomst can be. Don't make her wait too long," Clover says.

Thereafter he opens the star-clad door and makes himself ready to take Eclipse to the Eleven.

Author's note: Next week I'm going on a funeral and will therefore not post a chapter. White Orchids will likely resume as normal the week after that. Thank you for reading!