Arsonist's Lullaby

"Why'd you do it?" She said, frowning at him.

"Do what?" He asked calmly, pulling off his jacket and beginning to count his arrows.

"Spare her." She said, tilting her head slightly and watching him.

He stayed silent for a moment, then replied, "She could be useful."

"How could you possibly—" The boy said from where he leaned against a table, frowning at the older man.

"—Even from far away, I could see it; she doesn't trust him, even if she doesn't really know it yet." He said, looking into her eyes as if trying to convince her.

"There's a big difference between mistrust and what we want." She said softly, knowing how dark their mission seemed to be,

"What do we want exactly?" He challenged and she looked at him in a mildly confused manner.

"Justice." The boy spoke, the other two turning to look at him, "Justice against the man that killed our parents."

"Along with countless others." She said, finishing his sentence.

"She's a detective, someone who can help us from the inside, find stuff we haven't found yet, and when we finish, take the credit for the bust of a lifetime." He said, and neither of the other two protested.

"I hope you're right about this." The younger man said in his strange, dark manner.

———————————————————————————————————————-

"Hey, you know what we could call him?" Tony said, his feet atop his desk, playing with a pencil.

"What?" Thor said form the chair next to the detective's desk of which he sat in quite peculiarly.

"Hawkeye."

"No." Steve said looking up from the paperwork he'd been looking through.

"I actually quite like it." Thor said as though he was rather impressed.

"Thor," Natasha said as she came over to her desk, putting her coat on the back of her chair, trying not to smile too much through her stern look, "don't encourage him."

"Whatever, Natt, I like it," Tony shrugged, and then noticed someone over Natasha's shoulder, "Hey Steve, it's you're girlfriend," he said quietly, "let's see what she thinks."

"Tony, you little—"

"Hey, Maria!" He called, making her stop and turn to them, as he stood to just sit back down on his desk cross-legged, "What do you think of the codename Hawkeye."

"For your vigilante?" She said, stopping and frowning as if giving it deep thought as Steve kept his back to her, his face morphing through various shades of purple and pink. "I like it."