two

"So, what exactly am I getting myself into here?"

Markus chuckled, readjusting himself in his bus seat. "Prime Minister Susan Whitehorn offered a televised interview with me. I think it's more for publicity, showing that she's okay with androids, because I don't think she really likes them. But either way, there will be follow up meetings with high-ranking officials to discuss the revolution, and what preventative actions can be taken as to not repeat history. Of course, there's also the question of border patrolling in regard to-"

Simon realized he was zoning out, the monotone drone of Markus's voice soothing him. Or maybe it was the fact that he had been awake since before the sun, and now its golden rays were streaming in through the metro bus windows. The whole scene was so... peaceful. It occurred to Simon that he rarely left Jericho these days, rarely got to go out and just... live. He fought a whole war claiming he was alive, but there was a difference between being alive and living.

"...Si? You there?"

Markus's break in cadence pulled Simon's attention back to the present.

"Yeah, sorry, just tired." Simon paused. "How much longer is it now?"

The edges of Markus's lips twinged upwards. "Not too far now. Prime Minister Whitehorn had a hotel room reserved to me for three nights in a city about half an hour from her residence. Thursday is when I'm actually going in for the interview, so tonight and tomorrow are all ours."

"Sounds perfect." Simon slouched back in his seat, registering how tired he felt. Before he could resist, his eyes closed, and he fell into sleepy unconsciousness.

===============================

"Simon? Hey Si, we gotta get off now."

Simon slowly opened his eyes to a now dark and nearly empty city bus, save for Markus grabbing their bags off of a rack.

"Sorry, didn't mean to fall asleep." He slung his duffel bag over his shoulder and followed Markus out of the bus.

They walked down a few blocks until they came to a high-end hotel with bright lights contrasting the murky sky. The pair stepped into the graciously warm building and registered with the front desk staff. Simon's shoes looked blurry below him as he shuffled his way to their room, as he got changed into nightclothes, as he unpacked the rest of his linens into one of the dressers.

He tiredly slid into one of the beds, flipping the pillow and getting into a comfortable position on his back.

"Markus?"

He heard shuffling from the other bed to his left. "Yeah, Simon?"

"Goodnight."

"Night Si."

===============================

Simon awoke not hours later to violent thrashing coming from Markus's bed. He quickly flicked on his bedside lamp to find his friend flailing about in his sleep, kicking at the covers and exclaiming incomprehensible phrases.

"Markus? Markus! Hey," Simon rushed to his companion's side, gently pinning down his arms and rocking him. "Wake up Markus, it's just a dream, wake up..."

Markus's eyes opened wide, the blue and green seemingly glowing in the low lighting. He shrugged himself out of Simon's grip and propped himself up in bed. "I couldn't save them."

Simon sat back and studied Markus for a moment. "Who?"

"Jericho. North, a-and Josh, and you. I saw them raise their guns and I couldn't stop them from-"

"Shhh, it's just a nightmare. We're all okay, nothing happened." Simon felt a stinging in his eyes and quickly swiped at them.

"Are you okay?" Markus's expression went from one of fear to concern.

"I've had similar ones too. When we were singing, and they just... fired. Without a care. And we all died."

The two sat in heavy silence for a moment.

"Carl was there. He was warning me, even pointed at the grenade as it fell, but it was like I was paralyzed. I couldn't stop it, Si. Why couldn't I stop it?"

"I don't know Markus. All I know is that it didn't happen. And now it never will again."

Markus sniffled quietly. "I'm sorry for waking you up. God, I'm sorry, Simon. For so many things."

"You have nothing to apologize for, Markus. I should be thanking you, for everything you've done for me, for Jericho, for all androids." Simon patted his friend's hand, holding his own on top for a second. "You saved us. You saved me." Simon smiled and retreated back to his own bed.

"Thank you, Simon."

"Thank you, Markus."

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight."