Ch. 30

Maggie flew through the kitchen, scanning each cupboard, drawer, and fridge in a frenzy. She was a woman on a mission and anybody who knows what a woman's like than you know to get out of the way. Especially if that woman was Maggie Tozier. But luckily, Richie didn't really understand women.

"Mom," Richie said, exasperated, watching her check the fridge for the third time. She was so engrossed in her search that she completely ignored him, and he grew frustrated. "Mom! Mom!"

"What, Richie?" She snapped, turning to face him, arms folded.

"What are you doing?" He asked. He wasn't going to have a kitchen left if she kept this up.

She rolled her eyes, turning back to her task. "I'm checking to see if we're well stocked for Thanksgiving. But it seems you have absolutely nothing!"

He huffed, "Mom. We still have a week to prepare. I can just go shopping tomorrow-"

"No, no. I'm going today. And, in my old age, I'll need a companion. Mike?" She asked sweetly as his eyes widened in shock. "Would you accompany me to the store this afternoon?"

"Uh, yeah, sure. No problem."

She smiled, satisfied, as she turned to Richie. "Good. Now, I'm going to go get dressed. You two," she pointed to Went and Richie, "don't destroy the house."

She walks by them briskly as Richie watches after her, confused and mumbling about how it was his house. Meanwhile, Went glances at Mike's face and starts laughing at his misfortune. He was in for a treat, all right. Maggie was one of the worst people to go shopping with. She turned into a completely different person every time. It's why Richie jumped on the opportunity when he finally got old enough to stay home alone.

"Don't like to shop, kid?"

Mike gave him a disgruntled look, face pinching like he was in pain. "Why is it always me?"

"Word of advice," started Went, "don't get in her way. She will run you over with that cart."

Richie nodded beside him, "trust us. We know from experience."

Mike groaned as Maggie came back down. "Why aren't you dressed, Mike?"

"Oh, I was just going to wear this." He looks down at his attire, wondering if it was the right choice to go with.

She looked him up and down, nodding in what he hoped was approval. "It's much better than what Richie would have worn at that age." She commented, her eyes lingering on his attire.

"Mom!" Richie yelled, voice echoing against the walls. He couldn't believe she dared to criticize his fashion sense. He put a lot of time and thought into looking stylish and trendy. 

"Oh, hush. You were unique, is all." Maggie waved off his exclamation.

He scoffed, "yea, unique."

She turned toward Mike, "are you ready, dear? Grab my bag, will you?"

She headed toward the garage as Mike turned toward the remaining two, who looked back at him, amused. They were terrible at hiding it as their smiles broke through. "Better hurry," Went teased.

"Wouldn't want to keep her waiting," Richie added, his grin widening.

"You love my pain and suffering." Mike grabbed her purse with a grunt, using all of his strength to carry it. He quickened his pace, hoping to ignore the two men and their identical Cheshire cat-like smiles. He wondered if this was some sort of test or prank he hadn't been made aware of yet.

"Don't worry, kid!" Richie yelled after him, "carrying that purse around all day will surely give you some muscles."

The door slammed shut as Went and Richie chuckled to themselves.