[six months]

Loud beats echo against the walls of the house, covering the chatter and laughter of students letting go on a Thursday night. An elbow suddenly sticked out of the crowd of partygoers, almost ramming into the two cups Siobhan was juggling in her hands. "Oops, sorry", the guy apologized with a sloppily raised hand, his words barely audible above the music. Continuing her way without looking back, after a few dips and some careful slips around tipsy dancers, Siobhan set the cups down on the beer pong table where she left Marcela. Finally.

But her friend was nowhere to be seen.

Frowning, she took her phone out – no texts – before quickly sending out: where are you?

The responding ping came a few beats later: truth or dare in the garden !!!

Ah. Chances were Marcela was having a bit too much fun – and to drink – if the three exclamations marks were any indication. Sighing, Siobhan secured her package again before making her way towards the patio, too focused on not spilling the drinks that she almost missed the tall figure she passed a bare meter away.

Isn't that Noah Alvarez ?

The thought made her stop in her tracks. The basketball team captain wasn't known to be a wild fronter of the party scene, making occasional attendances to frat parties where he could be spotted with nothing stronger than a beer in his hand. Usually surrounded by his teammates and a few girls hovering at the periphery. But tonight, there was no broad-shouldered towering males around, only a slender silhouette covered by a fitting little red dress, pressing a hand to Noah's chest. Siobhan had to squint her eyes to confirm she hadn't imagined the athlete stumbling back a little. As if he could conjure distance out of thin air, between the girl and the wall behind him.

Her feet changed directions before she knew it. None of them noticed her getting close until she called out his name. "Noah?"

Startled brown eyes collided with hers, recognition and something close to relief falling upon them. Siobhan ignored the blonde who snapped her head at her, her undivided focus on the athlete who sidestepped his way out of his prison to come stand before her. "Siobhan, hey," he said, a little breathless. Running a hand through his hair, he gauged her simple attire and the two cups in her hands before adding: "I never thought I'd find you here."

She felt no surprise at his frowning brows. Still, she would've thought him less judgmental, what with them working together for a whole semester. Not enough time for them to cross the line between strangers, she realized. Not like she knew a lot more about him either. "Thought I'd say hello."

"Um, excuse me, who are you?" The blonde finally chimed in, daggers in her stare that could never in a million year intimidate Siobhan.

"Who are you?" she shot back without missing a beat. One look to take in the other girl from head to toe, unimpressed eyes scanning her body before meeting her glare, was enough to make the girl fume. Until Siobhan's next words made her pause a little. "I'm his friend."

"Friend?" the blonde repeated, clearly taken aback.

Even Noah was shooting her a surprised look, she could feel it. But her demeanor didn't change. Relaxed shoulders, bored stance, her best blasé expression. A poker face was best played when the opponent didn't know it existed, after all.

"Yeah. Seeing it's been a while since we last caught up, could you give us a moment?"

The girl wasn't convinced; Siobhan could see it in the furrowing of her brows, her half-parted lips, unsure of her next step. Stay? Or leave? Noah hadn't confirmed, but he hadn't denied either? All these thoughts were clearly written on the girl's face, it almost drew a sigh out of her.