uptown girl, newsies [x]

𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸

"So, are there any perks to selling Newspapers?"

"Well for a start, I got to meet a goil like you."

𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸

"And when she's walking 

she's looking so fine, 

and when she's talking 

she'll say that she's mine." 

-Uptown Girl, Billy Joel

𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸

When she was little, Valerie loved to observe the world around her. Beginning at the mere age of six, she had always wanted to go out to run errands with the maid or her elder sister. Only because she wanted to see the bustle of Manhattan. Streets sweepers dressed in white, the kind nuns giving out bread and drinks to the poor, tall men hurrying to work in suits with their pocket watches out, stalls selling sweet fruits and flattering hats, street wagons hurrying down the grey stone paths, the teenage boys selling newspapers.

And she loved every second of it.

But as I told you, Valerie was not only an observer, but also a very smart girl. So as she grew and matured (not only physically but also mentally), she realized that there were two different types of people in this society. The people inside the carriage and the ones that control the horses, the ones that buy the newspapers and the ones that carry them, the ones that make the hats and the ones that wear them. It was like a never-ending cycle that seemed to go on and on and on and on. Until Valerie promised herself that she will never be the one giving and not receiving.

So how did she fall for a Newsie? Honestly, she wouldn't be able to tell you either.

𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈𖥸

Cast!

Anna Chlumsky as Valerie Ruth Davenport

the higher class, immature girl who's always asking questions

"Hey Mel, what do you do if a boy calls you pretty?"

Aaron Lohr as Mush Meyers