Prologue

The king sat watching as the small human was rushed away by his advisor Olivia. He chuckled to himself his heart warmed. It was the first time in years he felt a connection be formed. This relief and fondness soon faded as his body was hurled back. The world turned dim as he found himself surrounded by never-ending darkness. He knew what this meant, he knew what the Core wanted. The orange eyes snapped open in front of where he stood, he tried not to flinch in front of the creature.

"Kill the girl! She is a threat to everything we hope to accomplish. And if the prophecy comes true, you will never join us." The creature spat, its mind invading the kings. Its cold tendrils slowly caressed his thoughts. For he couldn't hide anything, the Core knew everything.

"Kill her! Now? But we still don't know where the box is." Andrias tried to plead. He already grew fond of the girl, her spirit reminding him of his own. He didn't want her death on his hands, he already gave so much to listen to the dark creature.

"DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND! KEEPING HER ALIVE MAKES THE PROPHECY MORE DANGEROUS!" The eyes grew in size and a hissing sound could be heard as the creature yelled at the foolish king. His incompetence was shining through again, showing the Core he was weak. It launched itself upwards slightly trying to become more menacing.

"It's true, the old prophecy makes keeping her alive risky." Andrias moved his hands reaching out slightly, making a posture of carelessness. Which the Core did not appreciate. "But she's just a child, perhaps all of this is overblown."

The Core did not like this, springing forward to come closer to the king's face its voice echoing with anger and some disappointment. Maybe it could use this to its advantage, solve the internal debate on keeping Andrias or discarding the useless newt. "If we are not to extinguish the girl, then what?" The faces behind the luminous orange eyes smiled as the test was set. "What do you propose Andrias?"

The king was quite astonished the Core requested his opinion, but nonetheless, he leaped at the opportunity. "What do I propose." Andrias started to walk away, turning away from the piercing eyes. Humming as he thought to himself. He didn't want Marcy deceased, but he can't refuse the Core. "In studying the ancient writings it appears there is a ritual that allows these chosen heroes to give up their ability and the responsibility that comes with them. Why not befriend this Marcy and lure her friends here where we will siphon their powers away. Neutralize the prophecy."

Andrias was delighted with himself. This was a solid plan, and the Core presumably will accept it. Which means he won't have to annihilate the girl.

The Core on the other hand was not impressed. This left so many loopholes imploring to be used. The minds were irritated with how Andrias wanted to solve the prophecy's looming threat, their way would be more efficient and with a guarantee that could not be bypassed. But they already set the test, of course, they would make some tweaks to the plan. Even so, this was a test for Aldrich's son. So they set the job onto Aldrich to talk to his son.

The creature shifted in the mindscape, turning into the father Andrias yearned to please. The copy grinned, placing their right hand onto Andrias's shoulder, speaking with a unmistakable voice instead of numerous overlaying voices. "And restore our legacy all in one fell swoop." Andrias looked back his face conflicted, he felt uneasiness. His mind trying to cloak his true preferences. "Well done Andrias. The plan was amazing we just have a concern."

Andrias stiffened at that remark. He knew it was a long shot to convince the Core. He should have expected them to reject his plan. "What is it, my lord?" He refused to call his father by name. Knowing the others were listening in. And maybe some of it was anger, a feeling that seemed to plague the king's mind.

"Your plan will restore the power we need. But." The giant newt paused his hand lifting from Andrias as he stepped back. Rubbing his chin as if in deep thought. "This could go bad. We need a failsafe."

The plan was already formulated in the Core's mind. It just liked to tease the King. Making him feel like his input actually mattered, that way he would not question what the Core had in mind.

Andrias on their hand turned to face his father. Years after his death could not shake his presence. "What kind of failsafe." He asked, scared of what the response would be.

"We have been entrapped in this metal body for so long. Unable to feel the world around us. We can only see so much through your crown and our spies." Andrias's heart stopped. He understood what the Core was implying. "Maybe Marcy could be more... useful to us."

"What if her friends catch on? Surely they will notice the difference if you inhabited the body?" Andrias tried to not sound desperate, but his heart was racing.

"Then we will stay hidden in the dark of her mind. Hiding from plain view but very much conscious." The newt smiled, the multiple eyes scrunching up at the movement. "If the plan fails, then we will take control. Removing the other stones our way."

Andrias felt ill, he was trying to fight on the child's behalf and it turned into something far worse. "But she isn't worthy to enter the Core!" He tried his voice raising, even pleading.

"She is Wit. When she is fully simulated into the Core her infusion may be of value to us." There was no way for the king to try and persuade the creature otherwise. He nodded limply, his eyes evading the orange glare. "Perfect. Have her ready. We start the process immediately, then wait to see If your plan succeeds."

Black cords of metal came out of the surrounding darkness encircling Aldrich. Then pulled him back, back into the shadows enveloping the king.

Andrias finally let out the breath he didn't know he was holding in. Cold sweat beaded down his neck making it uncomfortable. He sighed to himself, questioning where his morals lay. This was dangerous, he could not fight the Core. If he did there would be dire consequences and he may not live another breath.

Maybe things will be better in the future. Maybe then he wouldn't have the overwhelming guilt gnawing at his heart. Maybe then he wouldn't be so lonely.

___________________________________________________________

Notes:

I promise I write longer chapters than a thousand words. This is just a prologue. So the next chapter won't connect to this at all.

Anyway, HELLO! I made this idea up at eleven pm at night talking to fellow Amphibia fans in a discord server. So I hope you enjoy the concept. It's been something I've been thinking about for a while and finally decided to write something about it. And since my work "Moon's Tide" is being put on hiatus due to a rewrite I decided to take another story on. Yay!

Updates are infrequent, depending on how long the chapter is. My chapters are usually four thousand words to five thousand words. So don't expect thousand-word chapters like this one. I don't know, I'm conscious that this chapter is short, but I didn't want to include Marcy arriving in Amphibia and meeting Andrias due to the focus being the Core's plan. Also, it's a prologue so yeah.

See you all later! Comments are appreciated along with criticism.