Chapter One, Marcy...? At The Gates (Part One)

The day was clear and the morning bright. I should have been excited, we were almost to Newtopia, and after weeks of travel we were finally almost there.

But something pulled at my insides. Threatening to pull my heart out. After the incident with Sasha, I couldn't help but wonder where Marcy was. The girl was insanely clumsy. Which wasn't good when thinking about how this world is full of giant creatures who wouldn't hesitate to get their claws on their next meal.

My hand reached down, grabbing onto the photo. It was heavy, heavy with solemn thoughts that crept into my head. The last remnants of Marcy that I had.

I was sitting at the wooden table in the fwagon with Sprig who was talking about something. I tuned him out, continuing to look at the picture in my hands. My knees curled in as more worrisome thoughts filled my mind.

What if Marcy got hurt?

What if she's like Sasha? What if she tries to kill me?

What if Marcy died? How would I deal with that?

I shook my head trying to rid the invading thoughts from my brain, my face pulling into a frown.

"Uh... Anne?" At the mention of my name, my head shot up locking eyes with an anxious Sprig.

"Huh?" Was all I could say as my mind was pulled out of the dark spiraling pit of my mind.

"Uh... I thought you'd be more." His arms reached out for emphasis. "Excited." He finished his voice laced with worry.

"I am excited. It's just..." My hands lashed out, hovering over the table. My face scrunched as my emotions leaked through. Sure I've thought about Marcy, but never voiced my concerns. Everything has just been distracting me... "We've been traveling Amphibia for weeks! I thought there'd be some sign of Marcy by now." My hands pulled back and I brought the photo to my face my head resting on my right hand as my mood dropped. "But nothing." It was worrisome, it did take a while for me to reunite with Sasha... but it's been too long for Marcy.

"Maybe that's a good thing!" I heard shuffling but I didn't care to look up. I know Sprig didn't enjoy the encounter with Sasha, none of us did. "Your last friend was kinda-" A small pink slimy finger invaded my vision pointing towards the photo while inching forward. "Totally evil." The finger finally stopped hovering over Sasha.

Something squeezed inside me, I don't know whether it was guilt or anger. I slapped Sprig's hand away looking up at him. "Hey, look. Sasha and I might be going through a rough patch but that doesn't mean I don't care about her." I paused slightly, did I care about Sasha? I still feel angry. Angry at what she did, ans that maybe... she felt no remorse for it. It made my insides clench, to think that our friendship was nothing more than Sasha using me and molding me into what SHE wanted. My head shaked a tad to help rid myself of such thoughts, this wasn't the time or the place. "And since she got zapped here with me then that means Marcy did too." My eyes slammed shut, the pain of missing her slightly overbearing.

"Besides Marcy is completely different from Sasha." My hands lifted up and then extended to get my point across. "She's harmless." My hand flicked down in an almost careless fashion. My mind lingered back to all those fun times with Marcy. The adorable nerd was always oblivious to outside things. Even to some feelings...

I shook the thought from my mind, already a slight blush was creeping up my face and I knew Sprig was going to ask about it. If he noticed. I decided to continue, hoping for a distraction. "She's super smart but super oblivious. And insanely clumsy." I couldn't help the small smile escaping, thinking about all the times Marcy accidentally hurt herself. Leaving me to help her, whether that was bandages or hugs... maybe even some kisses. ON THE WOUNDS, of course. Why was I being nervous? This is all in my head. "Like maybe the clumsiest person alive." I looked up my eyes lingering on the roof as the feeling of loneliness crept into my veins once again after my small explanation.