Chapter 11

Jungkook looked dazed, but he seemed quite relieved when he saw the two of us.

"Where are we...?" - "You collapsed all of a sudden, but luckily Chan was passing by. He carried you to the inn." - "A doctor staying here checked you over and said it was just a case of overexertion. You need rest." - "Oh... sorry for all the trouble..." - "No apologies necessary. As comrades, we must help each other out when we're in need. But now that you're awake, I shall go home." - "Thank you so much, Chan."

Chan nodded and left the room. Jungkook leaned back against the headboard and let out a shuddering sigh, hand pressed to his temple.

"How are you feeling?" - "I'm fine. I need to get back to work. I'll probably be up for most of the night, so you go on home without me."

He unsteadily sat up, still looking quite pale as he tried to put on his jacket. I gently grabbed his arm and shook my head.

"No, Jungkook... you need to rest tonight." - "I told you before, I don't have time to rest."

He shook off my grip and got out of bed. It felt like there was this invisible wall between us suddenly.

He won't listen no matter what I say.

"Are you working yourself this hard all because of Taehyung?" - "What's that supposed to mean?"

I shoved my fears aside and reached out to take his hand.

"...Jisung told me how hard you worked for Taehyung while you were alive."

Jungkook still had his back turned to me, so I couldn't see his face.

...But then he murmured softly.

"Do you remember when I told you before, about a masterpiece that could change someone's life?" - "Yes, of course I remember."

And then I asked him if he'd ever come across a painting that changed his life.

"...It was my brother's painting." - "Taehyung's...?" - "Until I saw it, I'd truly believed I had the kind of talent that could change the world. But that belief was instantly shattered the moment I saw Hyung's painting."

I walked around in front of Jungkook so I could see him. He stared down at his palms, a self-deprecating smile on his face.

"...My parents refused to acknowledge Taehyung's talents and were very cold to him. Meanwhile, they showered me with love. So, I was the only one who realised that he was someone who had been chosen by God to share his gift with the world... and in turn, I also realised that I had not been chosen."

He balled his hands into fists so tight his knuckles turned white.

I don't know what I can even say to that...

I felt like anything I had to say would be too shallow. Too minuscule compared to his pain. It wouldn't get through to him.

"My brother was my whole world. I adored him more than anything imaginable."

His whole world...

"We both died far too soon, but now we are alive again. We've been given another chance and I refuse to let this one slip through my hands. Please... just understand that."

He looked up from his hands at me, his eyes pleading. Begging me to understand him.

"Jungkook..."

Jungkook's working hard for Taehyung... but he's also working hard for himself.

I guess I had no idea just how large of a presence Taehyung had in Jungkook's life.

"Okay... I understand how you feel, Jungkook."