prologue

September 29, 2016
Tokyo, Japan

It was the final round of the Seikai Taikai International Karate Tournament. Two highly skilled adolescents went against each other, fighting for the Seikai Taikai champion title.

An exhausted Janiya struggled to get up on her feet after taking a huge blow from her opponent. The girl wasn't in her right mind, the loss of her mother was distracting her. She made it all this way just for her mother not to see her succeed.

"Finish her!"

The boy turned to his sensei and nodded. Janiya wiped the tears and sweat from her face before getting into her fighting postion. The boy charged first with a punch, Janiya used her arms to block it, unintentionally leaving her chest open. The opponent took the chance and struck her right in the chest.

Janiya fell to the floor as the audience cheered for the boy.

"Winner, Song!"

After the tournament, Janiya hasn't felt the same since. The guilt overcame her day by day, she felt like she let down her teammates and her family. Back in Chicago, she went to the graveyard to visit her mother's tombstone.

"I didn't win," She uttered, on the verge of tears. "I'm sorry I let you down ma." Her hands tightening the unbrella handle as she cried in the rain.

©𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐘𝟑𝐗