My Only Friend.

The penny-like sting of blood rested on my tongue. A slight smell of sulfur lingered in the night sky. The body of the only friend I had ever gained laying on the cold forest earth. She had blood slowly trickle down from her nose to her agape mouth, and eventually to the leaves sat around her. With a limp in my leg, I began my slow walk to her. I could barely here the sound of crunching leaves as I walked, being deafened by a high-pitched ringing in my ears. As I approached, I began to see a slight movement by corpse. A finger, her pointer, begins to lightly twitch. She isn't alive. She can't be. I could tell just by the sight of her cadaver. Her leg was broken so bad that you could see the bone sticking out, she was missing a tooth, and she had more slices and bruises then I could count. But I watched in shock as it happened again, another finger movement. I begin to pick up my walk, going from a slow stumble to a weak dash. "Please, please.", I plead to my thoughts, " Please let her still be breathing." As I get closer, I begin to see her finger movements turn into a hand movement, a slow clench. As I finally approach her body, my ears stop ringing. Silence. I lean down, preparing to put my fingers at her neck to check for some pulse, but something stops me. A breath, then another. Shakily I hear one after another, in, then out, in, then out. A smile begins to tear across my face, and I put my hand to her shoulder. "A - Are you alive?", I stutter, "Can you hear me?" For a second there's nothing but the wind, but eventually her eyelids creak open. She deepens her breathing and opens her mouth. No words can be formed for a while, but eventually in a shaky voice, she whispers out. "Please, I-I beg of you." I watch her face as a tear rolls down. "Please no more." My smile streaks even bigger and my eyes widen. My pupils enlarge and my breathing starts to get heavy. To her side I see the stone, now covered with a collage of bone and blood, and rub my hands on it. I lift it up with both my arms and hang it over her head. With the candy-like taste of blood on my tongue and a strong stench of death burning my nose, I dropped the rock.