Chapter Eleven: Lizards

Through much trial and error, I learn that my strange beasts only eat meat that is burnt to a crisp. They each have to be fed by hand. Looking out at the sunrise, I watch as Sunstone wakes up, the three of them having slept on the stone ledge.

It blinks its green eyes at me, then yawns and shakes itself. I laugh softly and pet it, the small creature nudging my hand in response.
I turn when I hear footsteps enter my room. Antony walks in, carrying a few scrolls from the large library here in the city. I had asked him to find any information regarding what these creatures are.

No, not creatures. What my children are.
"Anything?" I ask. "Only a few surviving scraps here and there," he sighs, handing me one particular scroll. I unroll it and scan the faded words written in Greek.
"Seems like Agrippa was right when he said the beasts bonded to you," Antony murmurs.

"The ancient texts call them dragons, scaled beasts that fly and breathe fire. They were used as weapons during wars long ago. Many of the texts say they had gone extinct, slain by man in fear of the destruction they caused. At least, that's what I've pieced together," Antony states, sitting across from me and looking at the other two who are still asleep.

"Dragons," I test the name out, the word strange on my tongue.
"The scrolls say they can be commanded by a rider, hinting that they'll grow fairly large, big enough to get on the back of one."
I blink in surprise, trying to imagine such an image.

"But there is a catch, they can only be commanded by whoever they are bound to. Training them may pose a challenge with so little information," he sighs, rubbing his eyes.
"Thank you for this information," I murmur, leaning forward and kissing his cheek. Sunstone tilts its head, watching us speak.

We watch it spread its wings, looking more red in the sun, then hop down from the ledge and onto Antony's lap. Antony visibly stiffens when the dragon stares up at him. "Perhaps Sunstone likes you," I note.
"Better Sunstone than Sapphire," he mutters, glancing at the blue dragon.

Reluctantly, he reaches down and pets Sunstone, who chirps and purrs. Antony laughs a little in shock and amazement. I smile, albeit somewhat sadly.
****
Similar to infants, the three of them need to be fed every couple of hours. I learn this the hard way whenever Sapphire nudges me awake.
It seems to be the leader of sorts between them, being more vocal.

A week has passed and everyone in the palace seems to be getting used to the dragons. Like stray kittens, they follow me around, beating their leather wings, always wanting to be held.
Once more, I am alone in my room, charring meat on a torch to feed them.
I hold the sizzling meat down at their level and watch them with fascination.

Amethyst lunges for the meat first, quickly eating it. Sapphire hisses in displeasure, flaring its wings. Sunstone looks intimated, flapping its wings nervously.
"Sapphire," I warn, lightly tapping it between the horns. "Do not fight with your sibling. Be patient."
Sapphire chirps, seeming to become happy that my attention is on it.

I feed the others their meat and sigh, rubbing my face. "How in Apollo's name am I going to explain all of this to the people back in Rome?" I question to my children. "You three may be the only children I'll ever have now," I admit to myself, watching them bicker like the siblings they are. The thought of having another child so soon seems too much to bear.

Sunstone, seeming to notice my sadness, walks over and hops onto my lap. It lets out a small yelp, blinking. "I'm fine," I lie, not feeling fine at all. A cloud seems to follow me ever since the funeral. "I'll have you three try fish from the Nile tomorrow," I murmur, trying to distract myself. Julia is gone, but these three need me like any other baby. Fathers are supposed to be strong for his children, I cannot fail them.