Finding Her Place

The Midorya household was not one she found herself immediatly adjusting to in terms of home life. Perhaps it was her passive expectancy to ultimately be placed within the confines of some other random home, or perhaps maybe it was the insistence to being yelled at for events she had no control over, she had no clue. Though one thing was for certain...she was always ever tense.

Inko would frequently try to ease her mind and trauma over the whole events on what had occurred. Sure, she gained power that she had always dreamed of but...when exactly does it really become a power she can rightfully dream of if the circumstances of its awakening, followed by the terms of having such power, made it hard for her to frequently recall it was hers? And what makes her forget the whole dying thing?

She would oftentimes find herself passively falling back onto her vices, those being cleaning and monitoring the household she found herself in. No matter how many times her adoptive mother and brother tell her to just relax and treat this as her own sort of safe place, they always come home to a spotless home, and always find a calmly sitting Marie on the couch, not a single complaint on her mind except those dreary, tired looking eyes.

And on the topic of her brother...he was certainly as she thought he would be based on Inko's words and experiences. He was always the hopeful, go getting type like her, but unlike her...he seemingly hadn't accepted the reality of his situation. Or...did he just choose to not let it hold him down? Either way, even if he was quirkless, he was...passionate about what he wanted. As passionate as her, but more outwardly so, though she hadn't cared to admit it. He would frequently extract notebooks he had written himself about the professional heroes of their times and the past and, upon inspection and despite the roughness of the notes...all were accurate. It was amazing to her, to see such provoking summaries on heroes she admired when she was within the confines of those prisons masquerading as orphanages, and frankly...it was nice to see him pass the time with such nice things.

As she sat inside his room one day, upon his request, she realized just how passionate he was about emulating a specific hero who, by all accounts, was evident the moment she walked into his room...All Might. It was hard to forget the last face she saw, and the tears that followed. She stared around the room as Izuku hastily fidgeted beside her, pointing at other heroes and notes while embarrassingly trying to draw her attention away from his space, yet that was all to apparent that she was hooked to it all. Izuku made a cough as she was deep into her thoughts, with her turning her head and cocking it

"...yes, Midorya? Er...Midorya-onisaan? I apologize, I'm unfamiliar with such additions, given my...upbringing."

The young boy just sighed and blushed, embarassed clearly at hearing such a title and just laughing nervously

"...j-just call me Midorya, or Izuku. It's okay to, in my book. Your trying!"

She stared at him with a calmness, which to everyone else was oddly unnerving. Perhaps maybe it was her always glowing red eyes that even shined in the dark? She hadn't a clue, to be honest. She silently sat there as Izuku spoke again

"..so, i..I wanted to ask you something, Marie..about your..power?"

Marie was quite intrigued at the statement, with the reasons being differing from what others would expect. She expected someone to ask far earlier...but it was at least comforting to know he was just being polite in not asking. It be rude if he did earlier given the trauma Inko undoubtably told her about.

"...it's fine to ask, Midorya. The power doesn't hurt me in any way, merely the context to some capacity."

Izuku made a soft sigh, as if relived to hear such news, and soon he just calmly looked to her with a small smile, clearly happy to at least get questions off his chest

"..so...first and foremost, I'd like to ask...what did it...feel like to get it? I-I'm just curious is all, as...you know..."

She nodded in understanding. While it was sort of painful to recall how she gained such power, it...it had to be done sometime at some date. She knew that for the longest time. She knew addressing it would make it easier over time.

"...it feels hard to explain. It...felt like an absence of something within me was filled out by it. It feels like..."

She held her hand out to see it, the tired and hard worked hands of a woman who had encountered constant strife after constant strife. She spoke out again after drifting from her memories of her past before, with her looking back

"...like I'm whole again, in a sense."

She scratched her neck and sighed as she looked downwards upon the ground below, her speaking out once more, not addressing the true truth of the aquirment of her power given how freakish in nature it was.

"To be entirely honest, from what mother had told me about you...we shared the same circumstances. I..always wished to be a hero, but was quirkless. It was by pure, unadulterated chance to gain it. I am not special in any way, shape or form. It just..happened. and I had accepted that fact for the longest of time."

Izuku seemingly winced at that, no doubt his analytical mind catching details from her tone and the way she spoke, as if registering such a fact as an actual thing she had absorbed from her past...and he would be completely right. Before long, he looked back up and peered into her eyes

"You'd be right to assume that we share some circumstances. I..I always wanted to be a hero. Badly. But..."

He held his hands in a clenched fist as he shakily breathed and sighed

"...my quirklessness in this world is what lead me to where I am now. While my mind is wholly considered blessed, in this world it...won't get me very far towards such a dream."

He stands up and looked to her with a small smile of determination, though, despite the clear inward strain he held within himself

"But that doesn't at all stop me from working towards what I always wanted. Just because i am quirkless means nothing to me! UA, the best school on this side of Japan...it offers classes and studies for those who have weaker quirks, yet showed experienced minds! Even if I can't get in as a hero...I'd settle for what I can achieve! So long as I can save people in some way, with a smile...I'd be happy."

He nods with a wide smile, with Marie staring upon him with a look of unadulterated respect. For the past while, she saw him as a hopeful soul like her, but far more out of touch with reality...and yet deep down, he held onto the belief that even with what he had, he was still grounded in the reality of it all. She made the smallest of genuine smiles while gently placing her hands to her lap

"...well, perhaps you could tell me of what the great Izuku Midorya plans to get into on the heroic side of things in the near future?"

Izuku couldn't help but smile as he sits down with her, and eagerly talks to her. Their talks continue for the longest of times, and eventually, a mother smiles from outside the room as she passes by, knowing her decision wasn't a troubling one anymore