Sixty-four

I walked through the door with the daily mail. I used my foot to shut the door behind me and walked into the kitchen.

Fred was decorating the Christmas tree along with Phoebe. My now four-month-old baby was in her baby bouncer, making all kind of noises, trying to communicate.

I smiled as Phoebe talked to her, telling her all about her day.

I walked to the kitchen island and looked through the different letters which were mostly just bills.

Then I paused when I recognised a certain handwriting. My brows deepened into a frown, reading my name that was written across the envelope.

I dropped the other letters on the counter and then hurried to open the one addressed to me. It contained a card just like the one back at the beginning of September.

I opened the card, and my heart stopped for a moment.

I love you, Mavis.

This time my name had been added to the sentence. It was the same handwriting, but it had been months since the first card.

I must've been staring at the card for a while, because suddenly Fred came up to me, a worried look on his face.

"You okay!" He asked, placing a hand on the hand that held the card.

With his other hand, he snatched the card and turned it so he could read what it said. Then he frowned and anger took over his expression.

"What the fuck?" He said quietly before looking at me. "It was in the mailbox?"

I nodded once.

"Right, we're taking this to the Aurors."

"And say what?" I asked. "That I've received two cards from someone who states they love me? Yeah okay. They're totally not going to laugh in our faces."

I walked past him and over to the baby bouncer, unbuckling Theodora before picking her up.

I lifted her into the air, cooing at her, and she laughed while stuffing her mouth with her tiny fingers.

We were at a doctors appointment this week for Theodora's checkup now that she was four months old, and she almost rolled over right there at the doctors office.

She was on her back and rolled onto her side before giving up.

"Did daddy wake you up from your nap?" I asked, planting loud kisses all over her face, and I couldn't help but join her as she laughed.

She had been asleep when I walked down to get the mail, so either she had woken up on her own, of Fred woke her.

I couldn't remember when I put her down for her nap but she looked well rested.

"Is it fun watching Phoebes decorate the tree?" I whispered and took a seat, holding Theodora so she was facing the tree as well as her older sister who was skipping back and forth from the box of ornaments, to the tree.

Fred was still standing by the counter, staring at the card in his hand.

A knock on the front door pulled him from his thoughts. He pushed the card into the envelope it came in and opened the nearest kitchen drawer where he dropped it into.

Then he disappeared into the hallway.

Soon after, I heard voices, and I knew who it was. We had invited Ronan, his girlfriend and their son over for lunch, along with Reuben and his girlfriend.

Ronan got back together with his ex-girlfriend Katy. They got back together in late two-thousand and one and had their son David in June of two-thousand and three.