Chapter 7- The Terrace

2036 hrs | ~12 hours BEFORE Theo is found dead, Thursday 9th June | On board Serenity, 470 miles ESE of St John's, Newfoundland, Canada

**********

"I have to say," Dougie Burke started, holding his plain white napkin up to his mouth, "that is some of the best Italian grub I have ever had. There was so much flavour."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it, Mr Burke. The caprese chicken is one of the chef's specialities. I'll be sure to pass on your compliments to him personally," Captain Harris replied, a wide smile etched across his face. Joseph Harris was a true man of hospitality. When he wasn't at the bridge of his beloved ship, he was ensuring that his guests were being treated to his exceptionally high standards

Located directly beneath the top deck of Serenity, the La Terrazze restaurant was comfortably the most exquisite eatery on board the beautiful vessel. The Italian dining hall was reserved for the cruise's first class and VIP guests only and provided five-star meals from both a menu and on request. The restaurant was tastefully decorated with the presence of the world's elite and wealthy in mind. The floor to ceiling windows along the outside wall provided the guests with stunning views of the sea, amplified by the magnificent sunset over the horizon. La Terrazze was a world class outlet for a world class ship.

In the back and centre of the restaurant sat the captain's table. It was situated close enough to all of the other tables to not look out of place but also far enough away so that the captain and his guests could enjoy some privacy. The table was large enough to host up to 15 people but it rarely did. Instead, Captain Harris typically ate with his three officers and one or two families. It wasn't lost on the guests the privilege it was to sit with the captain for dinner time, despite the passengers on board Serenity being of significantly higher social status than the 44-year-old senior commander of the liner. It was purely invite-only and only a small handful of the guests had the honour.

"What did you think? Zach? Jasmine?" Joseph asked of Dougie's children, looking to his side. Captain Harris was sitting at the head of the table, with the Burke's sitting two by two opposite each other to both the captain's left and right-hand side. Beyond them sat the captain's crew, with Marcus and Cassandra next to Zach and Jasmine and Theo next to Mr and Mrs Burke, diagonally opposite to the Burke's kids. Also present at the table was Pierre and Lucille Courbet, a French couple in their mid-fifties. Founders of the famous 'Courbet' designer fashion range based in Paris, their place on the table was rightly earned.

Zach looked at his sister before speaking for the two of them. "Yes, very nice. Very tasty," he said simply, receiving a warning glance from his father for his candidness. Zach was unapologetic and continued with his stony expression.

"So, Joseph, how long have you been a captain for?" Helen politely enquired. "It must be such a fantastic job. Though very hard, I'd imagine."

"Thank you, Mrs Burke. It is a fantastic job and I love it very much. But you are quite right, it can be very challenging," Captain Harris said, sending a subtle pointed look in Theo's direction. "I wouldn't want it any other way though. I have been a captain for about five years now and I've been fortunate enough to go to many places around the world. It's a very rewarding job and I wouldn't change it for the world."

"That founds fantastic," Helen smiled. "Where would you say is the best place you have gone to?"

"Now that's a tough question. I have to say, I think that some of the South Pacific islands are absolutely stunning. A lot of them are quiet and untouched by humanity almost. It makes a pleasant change from the hustle and bustle of some places." Mrs Burke nodded in acknowledgement.

"What about you, first officer?" Dougie queried. "Any special places that you've been too?"

The rest of the table watched as the large frame of Theo leant forward across the oak wood, crossing his arms and leaning on his elbows.