episode one: that's.. shitty

SOFÍA'S POV:

i was walking into the kitchen when i noticed the front door open. curiosity killed the cat or whatever, so i walked through the living room, standing in the doorway as i noticed johnny attempting to fix the handle on his broken toolbox. johnny isn't my biological father, just an old family friend who took me in when my father passed, although he's the closest thing i have to one. i was about to speak up, before someone else beat me to it.

"hey, i'm miguel. my family and i just moved into 109." i didn't notice him until now, but there was a boy around my age just leaving his apartment. oh boy, was he in for a treat.

"great, more immigrants." johnny replied, attempting to get away as quickly as possible.

"johnny, suenas como sid." i commented, walking over to the two.

"yeah yeah, i'll bring you back some taco bell. whatever." he brushed off.

"actually, we're from riverside. but anyways, i was just wondering if you were having trouble with your water pressure, cause i know our sink's being weird right now and.." the boy trailed off as johnny started to dump everything in one bin, "oh! bottles go in the blue bins!"

"listen, menudo. i've lived in this shithole for over ten years. the pipes don't work, the fountain's full of piss; the only good thing about being here is that i don't have to talk to anybody. so, nice knowing you." johnny sighed, before patting my back and getting in his car and driving away.

"okay, have a nice day.. i guess?" the boy trailed off before towards to me, timidly.

"hey, i'm sorry about him. he's a pain in the ass, but i guess someone's gotta keep you on your toes, right? i'm sofía." i begin, hoping to repair the slight tension in the air.

"don't worry about it, nice to see there's some liveliness in reseda. i'm miguel." we both laugh, knowing that the chips in the walls have more charisma than the people around here.

"nice to meet you. do you wanna come inside for a drink or something? unless you have something else to do which is totally fine!" i ask, slight panic setting in when he simply smiles.

"of course, wouldn't wanna turn down my first friend here now, would i?" we both laugh, before making our way into the apartment.

"so, what brings you to reseda?" i ask, as i pour two cups of cola before joining him on the couch.

"my mom wanted a fresh start, somewhere a little further. what about you? is he your dad?" miguel explained briefly, before turning to me.

"who, johnny? nah, he was a friend of my papí's. he died a few years back and i've lived with johnny ever since. he's still an asshole after all these years" i joked, trying to lighten the mood.

miguel smiled before responding, "i'm sorry about that. what about your mom?" noticing my hesitation, he added, "only if you feel comfortable, of course! we've only known eachother for about half an hour. sorry if i'm being intrusive or anything!"

"no, no! it's nothing like that, it's just a bit of a long story, you know? we'll save it for another night." i smiled, trying to sound as polite as possible.

"of course, sorry again."

we then talked for the next two hours. he's actually a really funny guy when he opens up, but seemingly isn't fully aware of how to talk to a girl. he checked the time on his watch before standing up quickly.

"shit! sorry i just remembered i was supposed to go to the mini-mart like two hours ago! you could come with me, if you want to?" he asked, waiting as i nodded and grabbed a jacket before leaving.

"so, what do you need to get?" i started, as we made the short walk around to the mini-mart.

"uh, not much." he replied sheepishly.

"not much?" i laughed, "come on, what is it?"

he sighed before replying, "it's uh, pepto bismol. it's for my abuela though! she's just out with her old lady friends right now."

"damn, that's.. shitty." i say, as we both side-eye eachother before bursting into laughter. "sorry, bad joke."

he begins to speak, but cuts himself off and points to a red pontiac, "hey, isn't that johnny's car?"

"oh yeah, it is. wait, he should be at work. unless he got his dumbass fired again."

a/n:

hey guys! thank you for reading the first chapter of snap out of it. i hope it was all you dreamed of & more and i'll make sure to deliver the next one soon! sending so much love,

alahna <3