An Unexpected Guest ≫ Brick x Female! Kittypet! Reader

Art: berrym00n

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• None

A/N: This is the sequel to my Injured! Brick one-shot I wrote way back in July.
In case you don't remember, (or just didn't read it) you basically stumbled upon Brick—who had a pretty badly injured leg— and patched him up.
I thought it would be kind of cool if he came back to your house to see if he could find you again, because he found himself thinking about you.
Enjoy!

****

It was snowing outside, and you were tucked away deep in your soft purple bed, half dozing, half listening to the sound of the wind howling. You were halfway in a dream about your toy mouse when the sound of the flap on the door across the room opening and then closing again pulled you out of your coma-like state.
Raising your head and blinking the sleep from your eyes, you stared into the shadows, which were dancing in the light of the flickering flames behind you.
A muscular, rust-colored tabby tom was standing on the inside of the flap, his pelt flecked with snow. You were certain you were dreaming.
"Brick...?" You murmured, still half asleep.

He smiled, almost sheepishly, ducking his head with a chuckle.
"Hey, doll-face. Long time, no see. Sorry to wake ya."

You were too stunned to be angry. You never thought you would see Brick again after you cleaned his wounded leg, but you weren't complaining in the slightest.
"It's okay," You whispered, careful to not wake your sleeping housefolk. "But... What are you doing here?" The alleycat didn't appear to be injured or sick, as you couldn't smell any blood or other signs of poor health, so he obviously hadn't come to you for help again; not that he had intentionally sought you out the first time.

Brick chuckled again, looking away as if he was embarrassed. He looked back towards you slowly, then took several cautious steps towards you.
"I was just passin' by," He began, his voice unsure and nervous. "and I happened to walk by your fence. I couldn't just leave without sayin' hi."

For whatever reason— perhaps a deep gut feeling— you didn't think he was telling you the full truth, and something in his glowing amber eyes confirmed your suspicion.
"What were you doing all the way out here in this blizzard?" You asked, tipping your head off to one side. "I've never heard of a cat traveling for any good reason in this kind of cold."

Brick looked slightly taken aback, and for a moment, you had never seen a cat act so awkward and uncomfortable.
"Um... That doesn't matter," He mumbled, shuffling his front paws. "My point is, I just passed by coincidentally and thought I'd check in. Did I come at a bad time or somethin'?"

"No," You reassured him gently. "I just wasn't expecting to see you, is all." You smiled at him, a familiar warmth spreading throughout your body. "I'm really glad you decided to stop by, Brick. I've missed you."
That wasn't a lie— You hadn't stopped thinking about the rust-colored tom since you first encountered him on the other side of your fence.

Brick chuckled, and in the dim light, you saw his nose turn red.
"I missed you, too, (Y/N). I'm glad you're doin' alright." His smile faltered suddenly, and he turned to look at the cat flap behind him, where he had tracked several snowy paw prints inside. "I better get goin'," He mumbled, clearly thrilled with the idea of going back outside into the cold. "The other's'll be wonderin' where I am."

"The others can wait," You meowed, sitting up slightly. "You don't have to go back outside tonight, Brick. There's plenty of room for you here." The thought of sending your friend out into the cold saddened you deeply, and you knew you weren't going to be able to fall back asleep if he left.

"Are ya sure, doll-face?" Brick meowed, his amber eyes widening. "I'd hate to intrude."

"I insist," You confirmed, scooting over so there was room for him in your bed. "Don't be shy—get over here."

The stray tom watched you for a moment longer, then chuckled and padded across the floor towards you.
"Thanks, (Y/N)," He muttered as he stepped into the soft bedding and curled up. "I really owe ya one."

You smiled, resting your head and closing your eyes. "You don't owe me anything," You murmured, already falling asleep. "I'm just glad you're safe."
You blinked, turning your gaze towards the window across the room. The wind was beginning to calm down, replaced by a gentle murmur and slowly falling snowflakes.
"Brick?" You whispered, wanting to share the beauty of the outside world with him. Instead of a response, however, you were met with soft snoring. Turning your head, you saw that your friend was curled up tightly, his side rising and falling peacefully.
You smiled, resting your head next to his and closing your weary eyes.
"Goodnight, Brick."

****

This one is sooo typical of me xD
I apologize.

All jokes aside, I've missed you guys. I'm sorry my writing schedule is all out of whack, I've kind of had a lot going on lately.