Prologue

Kasandra Lovelace swallowed the bile that was rising in her mouth and squeezed her eyes shut. She knew what she had to do. She simply couldn't do it at that moment though.

"Kasandra Olympia Lovelace." Someone called out. Hesitantly, Kasandra raised her hand. Slowly, she opened her eyes. A nurse stood at the door, her face full of impatience.

Kasandra got up and followed the nurse. They went through a series of corridors that looked exactly the same to Kasandra.

"This is so that you don't run away." The nurse said as she opened a door.

Inside was a single chair and a trolley with needles and a big box. A man stood next to the chair. He smiled menacingly when he saw Kasandra.

"You must be Ms. Lovelace. Perfect! Just sit down here and try not to scream in fear." Kasandra swallowed but said nothing as she did what she was told.

Fearfully, she watched as the man grabbed a needle and tested it. Black liquid poured out of the needle.

"Nurse, how old is this child again?"

"She's eight. Her parents think that she's taking the test." Suddenly Kasandra found her voice from deep inside her and a gasp escaped her lips.

"This isn't the test?" She asked in an incredulous voice.

"Of course not silly. We'll be giving you something special. Hopefully you won't die like the others." The man's smile grew as he roughly grabbed Kasandra's arm and yanked her to her feet, only to have her pushed down to the floor.

The floor creaked under as if they were so old that they might break if you step too hard.

"Nurse, keep her down. Last time, that James kid bit me on the hand."

The nurse did as she was told, going on her knees and pressing her hands on Kasandra's arms. Kasandra screamed in pain as the nurse's nails dug into her soft flesh. The nurse's face started changing, hair sprouting through her face, her cold eyes turning black as night.

"Scared, little girl? You'll turn like me!" The nurse cried out, laughing cruelly.

Something pierced Kasandra's arm, liquid flowing down her arm. It burnt wherever it touched her, making her scream in agony. It was like being burnt over a fire over and over, the moment you thought it was gone, it would come back.

Black dots were dancing around in her vision, blurring everything in front. She could hear her own screams, feel the acid burning her, selling it as it burned her skin, yet she felt or herd nothing.

"Please," she whispered, her almost voice gone from all that screaming. Two hands wrapped under her arms, pulling her up. Giving up on trying to make her walk, they simply dragged her to a different room.

Through the blurriness of her vision, Kasandra saw only pale faces looking at her.

And then, something black came into her vision, warning her that the first bullets were about to go off. She was thrown into the wall, a bone crushing sound coming from her.

There, she lay crumpled as the bullets rang through the room, leaving all the children safe from danger but taking down the ones who had done this to Kasandra.