Under Pressure

Louis' POV
Expectedly, she was not at school today yet I found myself still searching through the hallway for any sight of her. I pushed her out of my mind at least that was what I wanted to do. Then I saw Sandra and remembered that I had seen her at the park. Her driver also followed the ambulance. She was with the posse, that included Jennie Hardings, Franky what's-her-name, Lisa something. They were a group one would call the two bratty princesses and their servants. It was very apparent who was who. Jennie and Franky walked in front with pride in every step they took and how the other two were behind them with books and bags in their hands.
My eyes strayed on Sandra Callahan. Yesterday, I did not even know her surname but her relationship with Zoe had roused my interest. I needed to talk to her. From what I was able to get from my inquiry in the hospital. Sandra's younger sister had been bitten by a snake at the park. I was confused as to what that would have to do with Zoe ending up in an ambulance. I heard one of the doctors lamenting about how people still think that sucking the venom out of people in this day and age is a good idea. He had just come out of Zoe's hospital room. Zoe had tried to save the little girl's life and had put her own life in danger.
Damn it! Why the hell did she have to be so selfless? Did she not have just a little of her mother's DNA in her? It only made me want to see her now. How was her health fairing? I had to admit to myself that I was worried about her. I wish I could just relish in her getting hurt but I couldn't. Was this a Rodriguez curse or something? First my dad and now me?
"Louis!" Someone called out to me, snapping me out of my reverie. I knew that intentionally squeaky voice from anywhere. "You seem lost. What's wrong?"
"Nothing, Jennie," I told her, making sure that she would notice my disinterest in speaking to her. But the girl was tone deaf.
"Are you sure?" She asked again and turned to Sandra. "Did you do something stupid again?" She asked.
"No... I don't know why he is looking at me like that?" Sandra denied.
"She did not do anything," I defended her to the surprise of the girls. "But I do want to speak with her. " I looked at Sandra again.
"Yeah... yeah, what..." She stammered like a retard.
"What happened yesterday? With that Zoe girl?" I asked her.
She turned paper-white and wiped her free hand on her skirt. "What?" She asked but she obviously knew what I was inquiring about.
"In the park?"
"What is he talking about?" Jennie questioned too, to my annoyance.
"I was gonna tell you, I promise," She said to Jennie. "My sister got bitten by a snake yesterday at the park,"
"So what does that have to do with the charity case?" Jennie questioned, getting even more impatient. The other two girls, especially Franky were glaring at Sandra.
"She tried to save her by sucking out the venom." She blurted.
"Were you going to tell me?" Jennie screamed, to my surprise. What was her deal? "You good-for-nothing bi..." She was making a scene and students were gathering. I slipped away as Jennie was lambasting her spineless minion.
****
Zoe's POV
I waited eagerly for Sandra's return. Afternoon was already turning to evening when I heard someone knock on the front door. Mum would open it, so I did not bother getting up. Then smelt the fragrance of a very familiar perfume. It was the one that my mum used when she would go out to pleasure her special customers. She would be in one of her many indecent outfits and on her face would be an outrageous amount of make-up. She would be away for another week at most. I did not want Sandra to see her like that.
I heard the door open and again I heard Sandra's voice, greeting my mum. I waited but it seemed like they were talking about something else. Something I could not hear even through the thin wall of our home. I felt uneasy so I got up to interrupt. I opened my door to see Sandra and my mum hugging in the sitting room.
"What did I miss?" I asked in a loud voice, spooking the two apart.
"Nothing," Mum was quick to dismiss. "Take care of your brother," She said coldly and I almost felt chilly. She was definitely not mothering me again. She was back to normal.
"I'll be back soon," She lied, like many times before.
I did not say anything as I watched her walk out the door and close the door behind her.
"You're mum's nice," She commented as she watched her leave. There was a tinge of adoration in her eyes and voice.
"Yeah, she is such a charmer," I told her sarcastically. I noticed a little bruise on her cheek. "What happened to you?" I asked
She looked at me uncertainly, as if contemplating whether to tell me or not. "I fell."
"And you only hurt your face?" I touched the little wound. She was lying to me I could feel it.
"Yeah," She said again. "But what about you?" 
"Me?" I asked confused.
"Yeah, you did not tell me that your birthday is on the fourteenth,"
"How did you..."
"Your mum told me," She held my hand. "It is next week."
"Yeah," I gave a nonchalant shrug."
"We are gonna have to celebrate, do you have make-up?"
"No, why?"
"You should have a photo shot,"
I suffocated, trying to hold in my laughter. "Sure, where am I gonna get money for that? Plus I don't have clothes or makeup."
"Says who?"
"Me, duh,"
"You might not have but your mum does," She would not mind. In the past, she had tried to change the way I dress until she finally gave up.
"They are way too..."
"Short, revealing?"
"Yeah..."
"But you are a least five inches shorter than your mum, they will look less revealing on you..."
"Well, you have a point there,"
"So it's a yes?"
"Well..."
"It is a yes!" She interrupted me, squealing excitedly.