counterbalance

❝ season one, episode five ❞

Janiya has been training non-stop along with Miguel. Going on runs every morning and combat drills in the dojo. Getting better and better at karate.

Her speed, reflexes and sense of hearing improved a lot, she was blocking the tennis balls that were flying towards her.

Blindfolded.

Miguel was training with Johnny. He sweeped his leg causing Sensei to fall on the ground.

"Ow! That wasn't fair!" One of the balls from the machine hit Miguel on the ear. "Want a fair fight? Dream on you can't always think your enemy will play by the rules." Johnny explained.

"But my ear!" Miguel winced in pain. "What if that baseball was your enemy's friend coming from behind? You have to be prepared for everything, let me look." Johnny took a look at his ear and saw a red bruise. "It's fine...just don't be a baby."

"It's 5:00, twilight is upon us."

Janiya heard a woman's voice and took off her blindfold. "What?"

"I had to sublet the dojo for a few hours. Just till we get more students." The three watched as the women placed a poster over the Cobra Kai logo.

Days passed and Janiya met Aisha again since she wanted to join Cobra Kai. At first, Johnny refused to let her join because she was a girl which caught Janiya by surprise because she was also a girl.

The four friends headed to the lunch table but stopped their tracks as Kyler grabbed the cafeteria's attention. "Hey guys, you know that billboard with that big ass dick on it? I guess Sam takes after her dad."

Miguel shook his head in annoyance. His eyes met Janiya's for, the two stared at each other before he made his move. "Hey Kyler! Why don't you shut the hell up and stop being such an asshole." Miguel said, walking over to Kyler. "Want another beat down Rhea? I'm ready for your lame ass karate this time." Kyler pushed Miguel.

Janiya placed her tray on the table and took her backpack off. "It's not lame ass karate." Kyler threw his fist at him but Miguel grabbed it. "It's Cobra Kai." Miguel punched him in the nose. Kyler stood up and threw him on the table.

One of his friends grabbed Janiya from behind before she could step in. The girl rammed her elbow into his stomach, causing him to let go. She quickly grabbed the red tray striking it on his face.

"No Mercy!"

Another boy ran towards her but she aimed the red tray, throwing it right into his face.

At the corner of her eye she saw Brucks throwing a fist, Janiya quickly grabbed the boy's wrist and headbutted him. He stumbled backwards and Miguel kicked him back to Janiya. She grabbed the back of his head and slammed it against the table. Miguel hopped on the table, kicking Kyler in the face and finishing him off with the red tray.

The whole cafeteria cheered for the two. Janiya walked over to Miguel and dapped him up. "Hey get down from there right now!" Blatt ordered. "You two office now."

Janiya sat ouside the office waiting in her mother. "Hey, umm you forgot you stuff." Eli said, handing Janiya her backpack.

"What you did back there was cool." He fiddled with his fingers "When did...did you learn how to fight like that?"

"When I was 9, I always wanted to be Rama from 'The Raid'." She replied smiling to herself. "Do you wanna hang out-"

"Freeman, let's go!" Marcus walked out of the office. Janiya grabbed her backpack and followed right behind him.

School was over, Janiya and Miguel rushed to the dojo to tell Sensei about what happened. "It felt like a movie!"

"And that part where you headbutted that dude an I kicked him back to you!" Miguel added. "Everything was so fast and it came together!"

"Your parents are gonna kill me."

"Well, she would if she knew. When the school called my yaya answered, never seen her so proud. She won't talk." Miguel grinned. "My dad knew it was self defense. He would've whooped my ass if I lost though." Janiya shrugged.

"Alright let me get this straight." Johnny spoke. "You two took all my lessons I taught you and used them to straight up beat the shit out of those punks?"

"Yeah." The two said in unison.

"Follow me." He took them outside to his car. He opened his truck revealing two karate gis. He gave the first one to Miguel. "I wore this when I was training for my first tournament back in '81."

"Are you sure?"

"Hell yeah, you earned it" Miguel hugged Johnny. "Thank you so much Sensei."
He handed the second on the Janiya, "Custom made, Cobra Kai on the back and  Wick in the front." Janiya looked at the gi, seeing the nickname he gave her embroidered on it.

"Thank you Sensei!" The girl hugged him.

After karate training Jania invited Eli to her house. They were in her room watching 'X-Men'. "So who's you're favorite?" Eli asked.

"Magneto."

"He's a villain though."

"No really more like an anti hero, but I like him because of how powerful he is. Did you know he can manipulate others just by controlling the iron in their blood and probably could pick up Thor's hammer?" Janiya exclaimed.

Eli's lips curved into a small smile, He didn't expect her to be a huge nerd on the inside. He was happy that they shared interest together.

Suddenly the door busted open with a Marcus and Dezmon standing in the door way. "No closed doors. I'm watching you two so no funny shit." Marcus said, while Dezmon gave Eli the 'I've got my eye on you' gesture.

As time passed they were on their 5th X-Men movie and Eli felt something heavy on his chest. He was too intrigued into the movie that he didn't even notice Janiya had fell asleep on him.

He tried to move her on a pillow so she'd be more comfortable but the girl refused to move. Eli left her alone and continued watching the movie until he fell asleep.

©𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐘𝟑𝐗