𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

HONEY DRIPS FROM her fingers, a crystal gold liquid cupped in her smooth hands. she laughs, bringing her sticky finger up to her lips and licking the tiniest bit of sweet syrup.

percy watches her from across the counter, mesmerized by her elegant movements. he watches the way her lips curve up when she smiles, the way her eyes squint when she's laughing.

she glances at him, her lips in a wide grin, and turns around to wash her hands. the seconds percy waits are agonizing. he wants to see her again. he wants to feel the warmth of her presence and the vivacious smile on her face.

the girl faces him again, a soft smile on her face. her hair is braided neatly and is curled in front of her shoulder. strands of stay hair highlight the outline of her face. she wears a simple white oversized sweatshirt with a small floral pattern in the middle, but still looks outstanding to percy.

"you okay?" she asks, raising an eyebrow. she wipes of the flour-covered counter, but her eyes are trained on him.

percy hums. "of course." he can't help but watch her, though. he lets out a quiet sigh, inhaling the ambrosial scent of the blue chocolate-chip cookies baking in the oven. he pictures the light golden crust and the way the chocolate melts in his hands, smiling.

the girl reaches out and laces her fingers with his. "you sure?" she asks, squeezing his hand reassuringly.

he nods again, but his tongue is tied in knots and his stomach is doing somersaults.

"we'll make it through."

those are a few of the last words he can remember her saying.

percy leans against the smooth surface of the counter, his eyes stinging with tears. the counter is sparkling clean, without a spot of flour.

it feels wrong. the emptiness feels wrong.

the apartment has always felt empty after she left, but not like this.

he walks across the living room to the window overlooking the streets of manhattan. a u-haul truck is parked by the lobby of the apartment complex, humans the size of ants scurrying around, carrying boxes.

"can you lend me a hand?" a soft voice asks gently. her warm green eyes glance at him cautiously and she stands at a distance.

percy nods wordlessly and moves to lift one of the remaining boxes from the wood floor and lowers it on the small cart.

"this would be easier if we lived on the first floor," estelle points out, attempting to lighten the mood. "wouldn't have to cart this down..."

"do they need help down there?" percy asks as he lowers the last box.

estelle hesitates, and shakes her head. she lowers her voice to a whisper. "they don't want you to be too stressed. i don't know why but..." she flashes him a sympathetic smile, filled with pity. "just take it easy, percy."

somehow, estelle's words make him feel more guilty. he always hates the pitiful looks everyone gives him, even from his own mother. percy feels guilty for lashing out at her, always apologizing profusely after.

but the family is left strained and sitting together leaves a thick wall of tension between all of them. dinners are rarely eaten with all four chairs filled and feel solitary without any conversation.

percy misses the aroma of honey that used to always fill the house. but the honey is gone. the fragrance stopped lingering over six years ago.

his throat tightens as tears well up in his eyes.