Chapter 10

Asahi's P. O. V:

I approach the Hashira meeting room to see my Tsugukos outside, looking ready to head off.

"Hey you two. Are you heading out now?" I ask. Ren and Kiaria turn to me in slight surprise.

"We are," Says the blonde girl.

"A demon's been causing trouble in a nearby town, and we've been assigned to eradicate it," Ren says.

"Well, good luck and watch each other's backs," I tell them. They nod before they turn and and leave.

I let out a sigh before I start making my way to the gate.

"Asa!" I turn to find Giyu catching up to me.

"Giyu-kun. It's been awhile," I greet, smiling.

"It has. Was that your Tsugukos just now?" Giyu asks, gazing after them.

I nod my head as I reply, "It was. They just got assigned to a mission together." I let out another sigh as we walk to the gate. "I know that they're Tsuchinoto rank now but I still can't help but worry about them."

"It's only natural, considering they're like your children," Giyu says. I nod my head in agreement.

I mumble, "I miss having my Tsugukos around more often. Now they're going off on their own and are all grown up."

"I'm sure they still think of you as their Sensei. They've just really matured their swordsmanship," Says Giyu.

"Yeah, but still..." I trail off as we walk in content silence. Giyu and I pause at the gate and gaze at each other. "I... guess I'll see you later."

Giyu nods his head before we split off to go to our homes.

The next morning, I was turning Kirameki and Yume out into the field with slabs of hay for their breakfast.

I stroke the palomino mare's neck as I wonder out loud, "It has been awhile since I was last home. Should I go visit my parents?" Kirameki snorts as she continues munching her hay. I smile a little sheepishly. "You're right. It's probably not a good idea. They'd probably try to keep me home if I go back."

I fall silent as I continue to stroke Kirameki's neck.

"Talking to yourself?" I whip my head around to see Giyu standing at the fence.

"Giyu-kun!" I say in surprise before a smile tugs at my lips. "I was actually talking to Kirameki."

Giyu raises his dark brow as he questions, "You talk to your horse? And you understand her?"

I laugh sheepishly as I shake my head, still patting Kirameki. "Of course I can't understand her, silly! I just say nonsensical things to her all the time! It's good to converse with your horse as it helps to build bonds."

"Right."

"Sometimes I even sing to Kirameki," I say. "It tends to help calm her," I add at Giyu's expression.

"That's right. You do sing," Giyu mutters.

"Did you come over for something?" I ask, gazing back at him.

"Not really. I thought I'd come by for a visit. If I'm bothering you, I'll go—" Giyu begins as he starts to leave.

I start as I say hurriedly, "Ah! No! That's not what I meant! You don't have to leave! Stay! Why don't you come in and spend time with Kirameki? I think she likes you." I gesture for Giyu to join me.

Giyu pauses but enters the paddock and comes to stand on my right. I show him how to stroke Kirameki's neck and a smile tugs at Giyu's lips.

"So, what were you talking about just now?" Asks Giyu.

"Oh, I was just wondering if I should visit home. I haven't been since I became a Hashira at age fifteen," I answer.

"That's a long time," Says Giyu. "Don't you miss your parents?"

"I do. It's just... I know they'll try to keep me back home if I go back, and I don't want to go back home yet. I want to keep my duty as a Hashira, and continue looking after my Tsugukos," I say.

"Have you tried talking to your parents? Maybe they'll understand," Says Giyu.

"Maybe, but my father can be very strict sometimes," I say. We fall silent as we continue stroking Kirameki's neck.

Giyu asks me, "Can you please sing something, Asa-chan? I'd love to hear you sing again."

I smile as I agree, "Sure. I don't mind."

The perfect song comes to mind.

"Lavenders blue, dilly, dilly
Lavender's green
When I am king, dilly, dilly
You shall be queen
Who told you so, dilly, dilly
Who told you so?
'Twas mine own heart, dilly, dilly
That told me so
Call up your men, dilly, dilly
Set them to work
Some to the plough, dilly, dilly
Some to the fork
Some to make hay, dilly, dilly
Some to reap corn
While you and I, dilly, dilly
Keep ourselves warm
Roses are red, dilly, dilly
Voilets are blue
Because you love me, dilly, dilly
I will love you
Let the birds sing, dilly, dilly
And the lambs play
We shall be safe, dilly, dilly
Out of harm's way"

I finish the song and look at Giyu.

Giyu murmurs, "That was really beautiful."

I smile as I say, "Thanks."

I spend the rest of the day with Giyu just chatting together and getting to know one another better.