Ch 5: Back at school

Things quickly resumed to their normal pace.

Synin still followed Eivor as much as possible, playing her protector, which Eivor found sweet.

The Slytherin's kept their distance, although most of them were less hostile to her since she had helped them win the House Cup last year. Draco was still the same as always, constantly flanked by Gregory, Vincent, Daphne and Pansy.

Eivor didn't really understand his role in her house, he acted like he was the prince of Slytherin.

Luna and Hermione came over to the Slytherin table that morning, to see if Eivor had really flown with the boys to Hogwarts. Hermione immediately rattled off all the school rules they had broken, which caused Luna and Eivor to share a glance and grin.

There was one big surprise during breakfast after Hermione and Luna had returned to their tables.

Well, actually two surprises.

One was Mrs. Weasley's howler.

Eivor grimaced as she covered her sensitive ears from the woman's booming lecture, Synin hiding in her robes. Everybody in the Great Hall heard it.

"- STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE -

Eivor thought Ron couldn't sink any further into his chair.

- LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS, YOU, HARRY AND EIVOR COULD HAVE DIED -

Ron's face and his hair looked exactly the same in color.

- ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED - YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME."

The letter destroyed itself, showing Mrs. Weasley's wrath by ripping itself to shreds. Harry patted Ron awkwardly on the back and mumbled something, probably an apology.

The second surprise that rendered most of the Hall speechless, came flying through the ceiling.

It was a large eagle, entering the Great Hall the way owls usually did. Flying around in circles, it finally spotted its target and landed on the Slytherin table.

It was Aleria.

The bald eagle shook out her large wings and screeched tiredly, before padding over to Eivors plate and gobbling down a large piece of toast. Eivor could only stare. As did everybody else. Synin, however, hopped down from Eivors shoulder and started cawing happily. The eagle shrieked something back and dipped her large beak into Eivors pumpkin juice.

Eivor face broke into a smile, as she reached out and tenderly stroked the shiny feathers of the eagle.

"What are you doing here, Aleria?", she whispered astonished.

Eivor looked up at the High Table, where the Professors looked at the bald eagle, stunned. Except Professor Dumbledore, whose eyes were twinkling in amusement, and Professor Snape, whose face was emotionless as ever.

Professor Dumbledore motioned Eivor to come up to him, and obeying with weak knees, Eivor walked to the High Table, stopping before the Headmaster. Synin and Aleria promptly followed and landed on either side of her on the table.

"Who is your new friend, Ms. Varinasdottir?", asked the headmaster curiously and eyed the eagle, who was preening her feathers carefully.

"I'm sorry, sir", Eivor stammered. "I didn't bring her on purpose, Aleria must have followed me here from the Burrow."

Come to think of it, the eagle must have been the shadow trailing the flying car yesterday. Professor McGonagall stared at the eagle in disbelief.

"Ms. Varinsdottir, it is not possible for you to have two pets at school, seeing as we have already made an exception with your raven." Eivor stomach twisted into a knot, but she nodded.

"Yes, Professor, I'll take her outside now."

Synin hopped back onto Eivors shoulder and the girl stretched out her arm.

"Come on, Aleria", she said softly and the bald eagle elegantly perched on to her arm, folding her feathers accurately. She saw out of the corner of her eye Professor Dumbledore stroking his silver beard thoughtfully. Eivor left the hall, very much aware of the students staring. Quickly reaching the large doors, Eivor exited the castle and walked to the black lake.

"Aleria", she said disappointedly, "I'm sorry, but you can't stay here." The eagle cocked her head and looked at her with big, yellow eyes. "You're used to the wild, you wouldn't like it here anyway", Eivor explained.

The eagle chirped sadly and bumped her beak softly against Eivors cheek.

Aleria had never forgotten how the viking girl had healed her wing, after she had gotten caught in a trap. Synin cawed a goodbye, and Aleria took off with strong wing beats. She flew low enough to touch the glimmering water of the lake with her talons, before the eagle pulled up and glided to a tall fir tree and landed on a branch.

"You can't stay in the castle, but they can't make you leave the school grounds", Eivor spoke and grinned, watching the bald eagle swaying on a branch in the morning breeze. "Do you want to join her?", she asked Synin, who cawed and jumped off her shoulder, flying after Aleria.

Eivor smiled and hurried back into the castle for her class.

///

The atmosphere in Potions was as thick as ever. Draco was seated on her left and Neville on her right, so Eivor was very wary of Draco trying to sabotage something, while trying to help Neville at the same time.

Harry, Ron and Hermione were behind her, and Eivor knew that the boys were glaring at Professor Snape.

"Where did that chicken come from?", Draco smirked and chopped his roots.

"Her name is Aleria", Eivor replied absentmindedly and stirred her potion. "And she's a Bald eagle."

"An ugly thing", Draco commented. Eivor ignored him.

"Eve?", Neville whispered in a panicked voice, "what do I do?"

Looking into his cauldron, Eivor found his potion to be violently green instead of a pale shade of blue.

"Toss in a few dragon wings", she mumbled back and checked whether Professor Snape was around. He was on the other side of the classroom, yelling at Seamus Finnigan for blowing up his cauldron again. Neville's potion turned instantly blue after he followed her advice, and he smiled relieved.

"Thanks", he breathed.

"So", Draco spoke, his voice full of mockery, "your bird is a sissy?"

Eivor snorted at that comment, but didn't answer. Was that the best he could come up with?

"The mudblood is too stupid to speak", Pansy hissed and Eivor just rolled her eyes.

In her opinion, their blood looked all the same, red and sticky. Ok, except for hers. Even though she was able to blush, her blood was actually a silver/blue.

"Five points from Slytherin, Miss Parkinson", snapped Professor Snape and narrowed his black eyes at her. "That word will not be used in my classroom."

Eivor heard Harry behind her mutter under his breath: "Something I finally agree with."

"What was that, Potter?" Professor Snape's sneer probably made Harry regret his former thought.

"Nothing, sir", Harry replied angrily.