Chapter 55) Control

"How do you feel about junior and Kelly waiting to get married?" King asked Assyria as they walked the empty trail.

"I don't see any issue with it... I think he should have listened when you told him years ago to wait before he proposed... but I think Kai is so inspired by what you and mom have, he kind of wanted tha' same type of love. Nobody can have a love story like you two, that's without a doubt."

"I can see dat," he slid his hands into his pockets, "your mom said tha' same... but I think das' just something they'll have to work on. I think they're doing right by waiting 'cause marriage is no joke. I think some people got it in their heads dat they can jump in and out of marriage whenever, it does not work dat way at all."

"I think social media plays a huge influence..." she said, "but that's what society has come to," she shrugged, "I haven't even thought dat far about Es... is it even legal here?"

"Since 2014, I believe," he answered then smirked, "do you think Essence wants to get married?"

Assyria shrugged, "I'ma be honest, I'm not even sure. We really just talk about what's going on with us in tha' now... nothing much about like long-term. I told her kids are nowhere on my radar and she said tha' same but..."

"You think she's lying?" he queried.

"Yeah..." she sighed, "and I get why she would because of what I said and we're new at dis. I just reallyyyy want to focus on what's good about what we're doing now. Tha' serious stuff can come later."

King nodded, "I would say... as your dad but also someone on tha' outside looking in, if you two get to tha' two-year mark, check her temperature a lil bit and see if she still feels tha' same about not wanting a kid. Sometimes people get in so deep or get hooked on tha' love bubble dat it may alter their perspective a bit."

"Can I get an example?"

"Um..." he clicked his tongue then cleared his throat, "alright... so it's cliche but personally, I always felt like I had too much going on to settle down and have a family. I now realize dat I was just afraid of being responsible and vulnerable with someone dat just wanted to love me... um... I thought I'd be in tha' streets until I was an old man or something but God humbled me reallll quick when your mom came into my life and we had tha' twins. So I guess, I say dat to say, you just never know until your heart gets deeply involved."

"Yeah..." she mumbled leaning into him, "what if I feel like I fell too deep in love with her, and then she brings up a baby?"

"Are you a hundred percent sure dat is a bridge you are not willing to cross whatsoever?"

Assyria nodded.

"It'll be hard but you'll have to walk away because if she wants something dat you don't... there may be some resentment in tha' future. Relationships are about compromise and supporting each other. You also learn things... and sometimes when a person has dis fantasy in their mind about their lives and something or someone isn't on tha' same chord, dat will cause problems," he explained.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Wassup?"

"What's your take on... um... porn?" she awkwardly smiled.

"Um..." King coughed then scratched his brow, "um... like do I watch it?"

"Yeah... have you? Or like do you think it's... y'know... strange?"

King was bemused. He had no idea that a topic like this would ever get brought up.

"I just wanted to know... mom said she may or may not have glimpsed at a few back then for... research purposes as she called it," she snickered.