Chapter 9 - The Vampire Hunter

Elena's POV:
——• 11:45 am •——
Elena had just hung up on Jeremy on when she heard someone making their way downstairs. Remaining on the couch, Elena shifted her position leaning to get a view of which Salvatore brother it was.

Stefan came into view with a white singlet and jeans on, his hair already in its hero hair form. Part of Elena felt disappointed, but she quickly pushed that feeling away telling herself it was because she was mad at him.

Stefan finally saw her and paused for a second panic flashing on his face for a millisecond. Does he know that I'm mad? Elena wondered, watching Stefan very closely as he made his way towards her.

Stefan finally arrived and he sat in the arm chair across from her, his eyes unreadable. Silence hung in the air like it was a ghost haunting them.

Elena wanted to scream at him, she wanted to know where he'd been all night. But that meant her opening her mouth to talk, and that meant he would win. Elena narrowed her eyes, Stefan looked at her unblinkingly. Someone would crack under the pressure eventually, it just wouldn't be her.

And finally Stefan did crack, he let out a long sigh which Elena could only guess was because he knew they were about to get into an argument.

A shy smile curled on his lips as he finally broke the silence. "I heard someone slam a door really loudly earlier, Elena is everything ok?" Elena was taken aback from the sudden conversation starter. She was sure he'd taken the bait and was going to start apologising.

Quickly masking her confusion she muttered a reply. "Damon was being annoying, I just wanted him to get my message".

Stefan looked at her worriedly. "I was worried that you and Damon wouldn't get on, I can talk  to him about staying away from your room if you want? You can move rooms if yours is too close to Damon's". Elena held back laughter. Ironic. She thought. Her and Damon were getting on quite well, even if he made her mad, she found herself enjoying his company. And deep down they both knew she was never really mad.

"I slammed Damon's door shut, not my own." Elena said matter of factly, she didnt want to move rooms, or have Damon avoid hers.

If Stefan was trying to hide his shock he wasnt doing a very good job at it. "WHAT?! What were you doing in Damon's room?" he cried getting to his feet. A little of an over reaction really, Elena thought numbly.

She was about to explain that she was giving his shirt back but Stefan continued talking. Much to Elena's relief she realised how bad it woulda've sounded.
"You didn't even sleep in my room last night".

"Your room?" You didn't come home last night. Where were you Stefan?!".  There. Elena had finally done it. She'd ask Stefan the question that had been gnawing at her all morning.

"I did I just came home later, at 12. You were asleep I checked on you."Elena was about to ask him where he'd been when it hit her. Stefan was lying. She had no doubt in her mind that he had checked on her when he came home. That was a Stefan thing to do. But if he'd come home at 12 he would've seen Damon in her bed. And she was 100% sure that both her and Damon would've been woken up instantly by that. Stefan had come home much later. And was hiding it.

Having this new profound knowledge Elena decided to hide it. Checking her phone she saw it was 11:52 am. Cursing under her breath she looked up at Stefan trying to keep the anger out of her eyes. He couldn't know that she had caught him in a lie. Not yet. "I have to go, I'm already late Caroline's going to kill me".

Darting out of the room Elena caught a figure at the staircase, leaning on the banister in a cockish manner. Damon. He gave her a quick smirk and winked at her. Butterflies filled Elena's stomach as she walked to the front door. She couldn't afford to lose more time. But even as she left her thoughts where still on Damon. How much of their conversation had he heard?