𝟬𝟬𝟮. hurt people, hurt people

two — hurt people, hurt people

     SEPTEMBER FIRST ALWAYS MADE JULIET HAVE A SINKING FEELING IN HER STOMACH. It was just a constant reminder that everyone else had what she wanted — the perfect little family, where the parents would hug their children and press kisses on their foreheads with tears sparkling in their eyes. She often wondered what it felt like to be them, to be filled with warmth and joy when they were around their parents, rather than being filled with coldness and fear. That was one of the only things Juliet wanted, but she knew she'd never get it.

     Instead, she got Orion and Walburga Black as parents. The type of parents who wouldn't even care when their children would leave for another year at Hogwarts. They only ever cared about their reputation and bloodline — and it'd gotten worse after Sirius left, as the word spread quicker than expected. Orion and Walburga's tempers had gotten worse, and the nasty mauve bruises left on Juliet's body only confirmed that. Sometimes she could not help but wonder what she had done to deserve this, yet there was a tiny voice in the back of her head telling her it wasn't her fault.

     "You two better behave this year," Orion said bluntly, his voice cold. It was addressed to both Juliet and Regulus, though Orion's gaze was fixed harshly on Juliet, who couldn't find it in herself to look back at him.

     "We will," Regulus replied for the both of them, with a slight nod.

     "Remember, no mixing with Mudbloods or halfbloods, and no contact with Sirius," Walburga spat out the name, as though it pained her deeply to say. "No detentions, no letters home. I expect better from you, Juliet, now that you don't talk to that blood-traitor scum. Regulus, I already know your behavior will be just as expected. Good luck with your OWLs this year. That's all, you can both go now."

     "Goodbye to you, too, Mother," Juliet mumbled sarcastically under her breath, gripping onto her luggage tightly as she and Regulus made their way onto the train. The moment they got on, Juliet let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. She was finally free, even if it was just for a few months.

     "I'm going to find Evan," said Regulus, looking around the train with a smile on his face. "You coming with?"

     "I think I'm just going to find Elodie and stay with her for a bit," she responded softly. "I haven't seen her in ages. We can come find you and Evan later, maybe?"

     "Sure." Regulus nodded his head, gripping onto his luggage again. "Evan and I'll be in the same compartment as usual, if you change your mind."

     "See you," Juliet said with a smile before they went off in different ways. She already knew where Elodie Nott was, as every single year they would sit at the very end of the train. It was tradition by now. She struggled through crowds of people, and she pulled a face when a group of tiny first years were dancing in the corridors.