1.

"Rukkhadevata! Rukkhadevata!"

You turn to see Guizhong barreling towards you, blue silk skirts lifted as she runs and a broad grin spread across her lovely face. Morax follows along behind her at a more leisurely pace, and the look on his face is almost resigned. You can't help but think it's a familiar expression, one you've seen before on Haitham's own face. You have to struggle to contain your laughter at the striking similarities between the two men.

You focus on your dear friend. Guizhong wears her happiness like the sun's rays, radiating it to warm those around her. She is free with her affection in a way only a few blessed people can be; she has never loved someone and lost them. Her effortless, childlike beauty will stay with her until she is old and worn from a life well lived, all dainty features and wide crystalline eyes that have seen no horrors. Dark brown hair tumbles down her back, pinned in place with an ornately carved hairpin of Glaze Lilies.

"Hello," You say with a laugh. "It's so good to see you and Morax again."

"I feel the same way," Guizhong says, her face brightening. "And I see you've brought Haitham along with you this time. How long has it been since we've last seen him?"

"Too long, Lady Guizhong," Haitham says politely, dipping into a bow when she turns the full force of her smile onto him. "Have you been well?"

"I have. Morax will be glad to have a partner to spar with again, I'm sure. Will you both be staying for long?"

Haitham looks at you. "Lord Rukkhadevata wishes to stay for two weeks."

You hastily add on. "But if it's too much trouble, we wouldn't want to impose ━"

"Nonsense. You are both welcome to stay as long as you want," Guizhong declares. "Right, Morax?"

Her tone implies that his answer had better be a 'yes', and Morax nods along obediently, pliant as always to Guizhong's whims. You have to struggle to contain your own laughter; once again, it's a very familiar scene. You're fairly sure that you and Al Haitham have been through the same song and dance as well.

"Wonderful. You'll have to see my ballistae while you're here ━ we've upgraded them according to your recommendations, and they work beautifully." Guizhong seems even more excited than you are as she takes hold of your hand, and squeezes it. "Where are you planning to go? What do you want to see while you're here?"

"Anything's fine as long as we're together," You tell her honestly, and shoot Guizhong a confused look when she eyes you and Haitham knowingly.

"What?"

"Nothing!" Guizhong chirps, a little too cheerfully. "Let's get going, then!"