2.

"Lord Rukkhadevata, I don't think ━"

"It's alright, Haitham."

"But this one's Karmic Debt poses a risk ━"

"Don't worry so much, Haitham."

"I have to worry because you won't!"

Whoops. You can't argue with that. "He won't hurt me, Haitham." You take his hand in yours, trying to impart confidence and understanding. "Besides, Guizhong was the one who asked me to help, it isn't as though I could just tell her no ━"

"You could," Morax and Haitham both say in unison, before glancing at each other in a kind of dull surprise.

"But Guizhong and I would both be in your debt if you could help him," Morax adds, gesturing at the lone Yaksha lingering in the far distance. "Xiao has been suffering a lot recently."

"I can try," You tell him. "Please ask him to come a little closer."

Morax raises a hand and beckons the Yaksha closer; it seems to you that Xiao almost materializes in front of you with a swirl of green butterflies. He bows his head respectfully to Morax, then Haitham, and finally yourself, but otherwise makes no moves to speak.

You decide to make the first move. "Hello, Xiao," You smile at him. "I am Rukkhadevata."

"I know. I've heard of you," Xiao says, and his voice is softer and younger than you've expected. "From Lady Guizhong and my Lord."

"Well. I'm glad that they think so highly of me," You deliberately keep your voice soothing as you gather Dendro energy in your hands, and push the energy towards him. Xiao doesn't flinch away from you, but you think that you see him relax as the vivid green light washes over him. "Have you ever been to Sumeru, Xiao?"

"No."

"You should visit us soon. The Festival of the Roses happens next week, and if you'd like to take a trip down to visit us, I would be delighted to show you around." You continue talking to Xiao as you heal him. Simple things, really. The plentiful food and game stalls at the Festival, the beauty of the flowers in full bloom, how everyone in Sumeru would walk around wreathed in roses, and how your friend would prepare a dance for the occasion.

You flex your fingers and dispel the Dendro energy. "There we go. All done."

You don't think it's your imagination, the sigh of relief that Xiao lets out.

"My thanks, Lord Rukkhadevata," Xiao says. "Then if there is nothing else, I will be taking my leave now."

He vanishes at Morax's nod, but not before he bows to you again in gratitude. The smile drops from your face the second he vanishes, and you pin Morax in place with a disapproving frown.

"This isn't a permanent solution," You tell Morax softly. "One day, he'll ━"

"I know," Morax replies, just as softly.

And you can only watch as the sadness softens the hard edges and plains of his face.