The Hospital

Notes:

Yes I know that took a while to get them medical help but the stress of the situation called for answers and protection haha.

I have had a job interview every single day this week so far including one an hour ago that I forgot about completely... whoops.

Let me know what you think.

Chapter Text

The drive to the hospital was fairly quick. The small town means that there is no traffic. They pulled into the parking spot closest to the doors and got out. The second car full of the Marines and NIS medical examiner and Director parked next to them. Jackson was holding little Kelly's hand while Julius was holding Harry's hand. They walked to the waiting room where Ducky went to talk to the front desk staff while the kids sat with their respective adults. There were only three others in the waiting room.

With Ducky explaining everything both kids were taken back within 10 minutes. At first they were put in separate rooms but after initial examinations were done and pictures were taken for evidence they were moved to a room together. The doctor put in x-rays for both kids even though only Kelly had gotten injured in the crash.

Kelly went back first for x-rays on her arm. The Doctor Callan Fletcher was one of three doctors in the small hospital. He was overseeing both kids with the help of nurses and aids as well. He sent Kelly off with Nurse Jackie to get an x-ray done and stayed to have a discussion with Harry.

"Okay bud, while Kelly is off getting an x-ray done I'd like to talk to you about how you got some of your injuries." Doctor Fletcher said.

Harry looked over at Julius for support and got an encouraging nod back. He began his tale about what happened before he found Kelly. Saying that he was punished because his relatives did not want to bring him but they were forced to. He was also punished for things like not completing his chores fast enough, getting good grades in school and more. He let them know that his most common punishments were being locked in his cupboard without food for a few days to a week. He only got the belt when his uncle and aunt knew he did anything freakish.

"Was this ever reported back home?" the doctor asked, taking notes on everything. He would need to get blood tests run for nutrition and see about previous breaks and bone problems. He started to prepare instructions for the nurse to come and draw the necessary blood and run the tests.

"I had a nurse who called and reported but then she was fired a week later and one of the teachers disappeared after she said she was going to call about it. Everyone else believed my relatives when they said that I am a delinquent and troubled." Harry said. Doctor Fletcher wrote everything down. The new nurse Meghan came in and got set up for drawing the blood. Harry had to look away because he did not like the feeling of the needle. Julius grabbed his hand to comfort him and started a conversation about what color cast they thought Kelly would pick. Harry picked purple like her backpack while Julius picked camo. The test was over quickly and they gave Harry some apple juice and crackers to get his blood sugar back up.

When Kelly came back into the room with her nurse, Harry left with Meghan to get his x-rays done. The doctor put the purple camo cast in Kelly that went from her fingers to her shoulder. She had broken both the bones in her forearm requiring a larger cast.

____With Julius____

While Harry was getting the x-rays done Julius stepped out to place a call to Gibbs commander overseas on a satellite phone. He used his security clearance to get through to Lieutenant Colonel William Ryan, the man in charge of one Gunnery Sergeant Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

"This is Lieutenant Colonel William Ryan." A deep voice said when the call connected.

"This is Sergeant Major Julius Lachlan, currently stationed in Marine Barracks Marine Corps Base in Washington, DC." Julius said. He also gave his marine number for verification. "I am calling to get in contact with Gunnery Sergeant Leroy Gibbs, serial number 817657329."

"He actually just woke up from an injury so I will go check if he is awake. What can I tell him this is concerning?" Ryan said. He moved towards the infirmary tent set up.

"His wife and daughter were in an accident, and we need him to be sent back here. His wife passed away, but his daughter is in the hospital getting treatment right now." Julius said. He knew that he could not mention specific details but there is enough to get him brought home, if he was not going to be due to injury anyway.

"I will let him know and have him flown home on medical leave. After that we will figure out the future of the Gunny. He does currently have a head injury due to a blast so be aware of that." Ryan said.

They finished their conversation and Julius went back to the room to wait for Harry. The little boy seemed to be clinging to him for strength which he found amazing. He also knows that he cannot stay around here for too long, so he hopes that Harry gets to build trust with someone else as well.

____ with Harry____

Harry was following nurse Meghan down the hallways. He was walking slightly behind her to the left of her body because he knew that if he stayed out of the way she wouldn't talk to him too much.

"Okay Harry. Have you ever had an x-ray before?" Meghan asked.

"No, I've never been to a doctor before." Harry said. He had seen Madam Pomfrey, but she was able to just fix anything with magic and his relatives would never bother bringing him to the doctors. They had his school give him the mandatory vaccinations.

"Okay. I am going to have you come and sit over here in this chair. We are going to be taking a few pictures of the bones in your arms first. I am going to put this heavy lead jacket over you so that you are protected while we take the pictures. I am going to need you to take off anything metal you have one you." Meghan said, leading him to a room where he took off his clothes, minus the boxers, and put on a hospital gown.

They started taking x-rays of his arms, chest, hips, then legs. They also took a couple of his back. Harry did not like a couple of the positions they had him standing in because they hurt. Especially the x-rays of his hands because after his fingers were broken years ago by Dudley it hurt to spread them or grip too tight.

Harry was brought back from x-ray and sitting in the room with everyone when the doctor came back in. He told everyone that Harry has a small fracture on his wrist from when he tried to break into the car on the damaged side. He had also had his fingers broken and not fixed correctly leading to them possibly having to rebreak them in the future so he could have full function of his hand. They gave him a soft cast and a brace to use when the swelling went down.

The group decided that they needed to go somewhere safer than Jackson's house because as safe as the kids felt, if Hernandez researched Gibbs family, they would know about him. Tom decided that they would go get everything from the house and drive back to the Navy Yard. They grabbed the backpacks Harry and Kelly took and a duffle bag for Jackson and got into the cars to drive back. Jackson, Kelly, Ducky and Brent Ruiz went in one car. The second car had Harry, Julius, Dan and Tom Morrow.