[[Delaney]]

When Delaney passes the mirror, he can't help but pause. 

Eyes drawn by the streak of peripheral blackness, he finds himself staring at the reflection of someone he's still coming to terms with as 'himself'. 

Dark hair stands out first, shoulder-length and slightly wavy; nothing like Mother Angelica's shining blonde. Auriel is more like her in that regard— but Delaney has her eyes. Just like her, his eyes are blacker than the spaces between the stars in the night sky. 

Because of that, he can forgive his hair. He still has one piece of Mother in him, one thing that makes him like her in a way that can be seen. 

His face, however, is more like Gwynn's than anything. Since the two of them are twins, a matching pair made to go together, that's no surprise. They're not exactly alike, but Delaney can easily match the softness of his cheeks and the gentle tilt of his brows to their mirror image on his brother's face. 

Black and white. Light and shadow. That's what Mother says they are. 

Delaney spends a moment combing through his hair with his fingers, trying to neaten any locks that are out of place. He's going to see Mother soon, so he has to be presentable. It never hurts to check before throwing himself at the mercy of her standards. 

Even if he's never the one to stand out, he's the one who behaves. Quiet, good Delaney, always standing to the side and doing what he should. Never trouble, never loud. 

He may not be the most striking of his siblings, but staying in the shadows means that he's never in the wrong. He's neat, easy to manage, and handles himself— and if he complies with Mother's every wish, how could he not be loved? 

After all, aren't the eyes the windows to the soul?

Delaney finishes straightening his hair and goes on his way, sparing one last glance for the 'himself' that lingers in the mirror behind him.