I.

Lies! Nothing but a pack of lies!

Even as he thought the words, he knew that it was not so—could not be so. Had he not made himself perfectly clear when warning that, as a member of the Convocation, he could easily distinguish between honesty and falsehood? Unfortunately, he could find no evidence of deceit in the prodigal familiar's tale of their star. He had spent the evening repose mulling over this account of the so-called Final Days, and found that when given the opportunity, she had chosen to conceal her identity through half-truths and omission rather than brazen lies.

And yet for her to speak of their demise so calmly! It was horrific enough to envision the Final Days of Etheirys, the summoning of Zodiark and the subsequent Sundering. But to hear tell of their battle, of his death

Death. The term itself was both an insult and an omen, usually reserved for cases when a soul's return to the star was not governed by personal choice. To be forcibly consigned to the Underworld was a punishment reserved for only the most extreme circumstances, when all other methods of correction had failed. Most were so averse to the thought that they purposefully distanced themselves from such distasteful terminology; it had surprised him to hear the word used so freely by Hermes's little pet project.

But to hear the same from her! She, who looked so uncannily like Azem, whose soul fairly shone with the same warmth, the same joyous amber glow, and yet something about her was so very wrong— It was contemptuous! It was beyond reproach! It was... it was....

It was simply too much to bear.

He stared at his reflection in the looking glass, searching his pale eyes for... for what? For that first hint of madness? For the spark that proved himself capable of the unspeakable? The sacrifice of one half the population to save Etheirys. Another, equal portion to maintain the aetherial balance. An ingenious plan, though madness in and of itself.

Still, the idea of their noble sacrifice filled him with an unshakable pride. The very foundation of their society was built upon the idea that one must give their all to the betterment of the star. To end oneself so that others may endure... what better way to burn through the candle of a life? What better way to find fulfilment? Had he not been a member of the Convocation, he would have most certainly volunteered himself to be one of their number.

And to think that he was the villain in her tale! Mankind's judge, jury, and would-be executioner! It made no logical sense: why would he insist that he alone was worthy to decide the fate of a star and its people? That was laughable at best. Furthermore, it was in direct opposition to the principles of society. No one in their right mind would ever believe in such a self-centered notion.

Singularity is selfishness. Individuality, indulgence. Simplistic in their nature, they were concepts that even the smallest of children could easily grasp. Everyone, hand in hand, working together for the greater good. Each and every choice weighed accordingly against its own outcome, the needs of the collect put above the needs of the individual. This was the proper way of things. He could not believe that he would ever find reason enough to throw these guiding principles aside in favor of egotistical arrogance.

Even more insulting was the accusation that he had worked in direct opposition to Venat. While it was true that the former Shepherd annoyed him to no end with her antics, it did not change the fact that Venat was a retired official who served as an advisor to the people, a purveyor of wisdom. He would no sooner raise a hand in anger against an elder than he would a child. What did they take him for? An uncultured fool?

"I do not understand it," he muttered, hearing the irritable edge to his voice. The evening repose was meant to be a time of reflection, of preparation for the coming day ahead. It was far past time to retire; at the moment, however, sleep would be all but impossible. Not with all these thoughts whirling in an endless vortex inside his mind. "Why must we fall?" His reflection did not answer, its expression one of perturbed curiosity. Thirsting for answers, desperate to know.