Chapter 34

My valiant sobs and begs for Achilles to intervene were heard and he did exactly so

My valiant sobs and begs for Achilles to intervene were heard and he did exactly so. Now, he lay beside me, seized by my arms in the warm dusk morning.
The war was won yesterday and Hellen had been found and returned, though she did not look as thrilled as someone rescued from imprisonment should have. Soldiers speculated and gossiped if Hellen had really gone with Paris of her own free will. Some questions were meant to remain unanswered. However, the prophecy of Achilles' peril spoken by the gods was proven untrue by some twisted nature. Achilles did not die and his fame did not whither. Achilles and the rest of the soldiers fought valiantly and pushed the Trojans to the cold of their walls. They were picked off in groups by our men and Achilles had gone in search of Hector only to find his head in Odyssey's grasp.
Achilles had slipped away in the heat of the moment to speak with his Mother. Thetis told him that the gods must have favored him since I was not supposed to be able to sway Achilles into fighting. Hector died to the hands of Odyssey and nothing followed but roars of thrill.
Achilles shifted which caused me to return from my purposeless wonders. Achilles was now held tight in my embrace, this was all that mattered. He, was all that mattered
I traced my finger against the olive tinted skin along his forehead and my remaining angst receded; I swept away the stray hairs that restricted my gaze from his tranquil face, cautious not to wake him. He'd always looked the most innocent in his slumber.
I stopped as Achilles began to stretch his long bewitching limbs as a feline did after waking.
He stared at me with content and tenderness. I spoke in a soothing tone, "Good morning." He groaned in response; his voice was groggy and brimming with sleep.
He leaned forward and placed a tender kiss on my lips. He still smelled of his slumber. He stayed pressed to my lips for what felt like an eternity before breaking away. The corners of my lips could not help but to turn upwards. This time it was I who leaned in for a deeper, more passionate kiss. He placed his large, calloused hand on my chest, my skin tingling under his touch, whilst my hands found their way to his tousled bed-hair. How I loved his hair; silky to the touch and the color could make a man gape at its fire-like essence.
We'd lain like this over and over again but each time was like anew. I embraced him, yearning to close all the gaps that separated us. I'd hoped that we would melt into one another, unneeded for us to fret about separation or any prophecy that threatened it.
I tugged at his lush hair as I placed a trail of soft kisses along his neck and chest. A soft groan escaped his lips and I melted at the coaxing sound.

After 10 laborious and bloody years we were free. The previous night, the princes, and nobles, and soldiers were all rejoiced at the thought of returning to their families and homes. Cheers were howled late into the night and a glorious feast was prepared for the thrash. Drunken men spilled into the sea splashing about and singing numbers of their victories and tails.

The thump of my back against the grainy floor startled me from my thoughts once more. Achilles had rolled us onto the ground in attempts to retake my wandering mind. "What are you thinking about with such concentration at this time, hmm?" He grinned.
"Nothing of much importance"
"Is that so?" He said, laughingly between kisses.
Our lips collided clumsily and his sweetness poured into my throat.
Breakfast had been prepared and we were called by Briseis for a second time. We looked at each other before Achilles rose, leaving my body chilled in his absence, and gave me a hand. I took it without hesitation.
After breakfast, Achilles and I strolled through the messy areas where blood from soldiers had spilled and tents and structures had toppled. As we walked a few whispers by the working soldiers were spoken and numerous glares were given from all directions. People were still weary about Achilles and not without reason. This did not seem to matter to him though. He did not need to be loved and admired by all, he was content with just the popularity and fame that came from the morbid tales of the slaughters and battles and victories.
Men and their families created on these campgrounds flooded into the boats, yearning and eager to leave this place; ready to turn this all into one rotten memory. Achilles and I were the same.
Briseis boarded our boat back to Phthia alongside us. I would honor our agreement that I would not leave Troy without her company. Briseis' eyes brimmed with delight as I told her where we were to journey to. Her excitement was not of our destination but more so that I hadn't gone back on my word.

Achilles stood tall with his hands on the rail of this ship, peering at what remained of our camp. My hand cupped his as my head fell between the crease of his neck and chiseled shoulder. He stroked my face while the ship departed from the docks. I felt a sort of relief take over me like a bird, set free from captivity. The chilled wind of the sea tickled our skin and the air smelt of salt.
No more. No more blood will be spilled for such a meaningless war. The days to come shall be lived in peace and symphony. I shall follow this man, whom I love so dearly to the brink of madness, for the days to come and into the afterlife. I have finally grasped the true meaning of bliss and I shall never surrender him. Achilles has become the first hero to become famous and happy.