chapter two ✦ camila

"Y/N!" Camila yelled as she walked through the familiar house.

She didn't understand why the older girl reacted as she had. Y/N knew Camila was having sex with Matthew. They had discussed it before - seriously nothing is off limits with their friendship. And she couldn't be that upset about the movie.

"Are you drunk?" She asked walking into the kitchen to find Y/N sitting on her counter, a bottle of tequila in hand. 

"No," Y/N answered curtly. "Please leave." Her voice was so soft...so broken. Camila had never heard her sound like that before. "Just leave!" Y/N yelled when she didn't hear Camila budge.

"No." Camila crossed her arms.

"No?"

"No, not until you tell me what the fuck that was back there."

"Please, you know how I feel about him. Obviously, I wouldn't be happy seeing him fucking my best friend."

"That doesn't even make sense!" Camila threw her hands up in exasperation. "You're not making any sense. Are you forgetting when this happened and the roles were reversed?" Camila bit her lip at the memory. Y/N's sweaty back flexed, tan legs over her shoulders, her hair taught as equally tan hands gripped it.

"It's different..." Y/N sighed, taking a long swig of tequila. Her face contorted at the harsh burn.

"No, it's not! Explain to me how it's different. Is it because you hate him?" Camila pushed. "Because if that's the reason, you need to grow up. He's my boyfriend--"

"I know! I know that. You don't have to remind me." Y/N put the bottle down with another sigh. "Just go, please."

"You're impossible." Camila scoffed. "You can't throw a tantrum and expect me to just drop it. I wanna know why."

"You wanna know why?" Y/N asked harshly, hopping down from the counter and walking closer to Camila. Only a few feet between them now.

"Yes, I do."

"Fine." Y/N nodded. "Because I like you, Camila. I've had feelings for you for years. And it's bad enough watching the two of you together all the time. I don't need to see..." She took a deep breath.

"You..." Camila was still stuck on her first statement.

There is no way that she said that. No, that would mean...

"Can you say something?" Y/N asked gently. "I've been wanting to tell you for years."

"Why now? Why are you telling me now?"

"Uh, because you asked--"

"No, I mean why would you tell me now and not when you figured it out?"

"Because," she took a step closer to Camila. "I think you might feel that same. I needed time to be sure. And I am now."

She didn't say anything else. Camila knew she was waiting for a reply.

"Well, you're too late." Y/N's face fell, causing Camila's heart to do the same. "Because I did. I did have feelings for you. But I don't anymore and I can't just go back to when I did. You missed your chance."

"Camila..."

"I'm sorry." Camila turned to leave. "I have to go."

And with that, she left the house and called an Uber to come to pick her up.

-----

One week later
Rome, Italy

"This is so good." Matthew sighed in content as he took another bite of his dinner.