Chapter Thirty-Four: In Which She Delivers

[please note that I am indeed a young teenage girl who has never written anything like this before. Some things may be inaccurate, but I tried my best from what my mother told me. Enjoy]

"Clara, I've got you. Okay, I've got you." Bucky whispered as he helped her into the backseat of the car. He helped her lay down, and he got into the driver's seat. Peter offered to take Steve and Blossom, since his wife wanted to make sure her daughter was okay. She was twisted so she could hold her daughter's hand as Bucky drove both as fast as he could and as safely as he could to the hospital. All the while, Clara was whimpering and moaning in the backseat, squeezing her mother's hand.

They got to the hospital, and Bucky helped Clara out of the car and into the hospital. A nurse noticed and hurried over, taking her from him. From there, the nurse brought Clara to the E.R, and she helped Clara out of her clothes and into the hospital gown. She then helped Clara into the hospital bed, where she hooked her up to an I.V. Bucky came into the room, her mother following, and they went to her. Bucky gripped her hand, and her mother held her other hand.

"It's gonna be okay, my beautiful girl." he whispered, and she nodded, whimpering. The midwife came in, and Clara was in serious pain.

"Alright Ms. Johnson, I'm going to need you to push, okay?" he asked, and she nodded. On the midwife's count, she pushed, bringing about pain. She squeezed her mom's hand, along with Bucky's metal hand.

"Squeeze it as hard you need. It won't hurt me." he told her and she nodded, squeezing it every time the midwife had her push. Sweat was collecting on her forehead, and the pain was increasing with every push. For her, minutes seemed to be hours, but she had only been going for about a half hour.

"Almost there. One, two, three, push!" the midwife encouraged, and Clara pushed, crying out as she did so.

"You're doing great Ms. Johnson. Just a few more. Ready, and... push!" the midwife said again, and Clara did as she was told, crying out yet again. She gripped Bucky's metal hand tightly, and he kissed her sweaty brow.

"One more should do it. One, two, three... push!" the midwife said again, and Clara pushed once again, as hard as she could. Suddenly, the cries of the baby filled the room, and Clara breathed a sigh of relief.

"Congratulations Ms. Johnson. It's a healthy baby boy." the midwife smiled, and Clara looked away and squeezed Bucky's hand as they clamped and cut the umbilical cord. Bucky kissed her hair, and the midwife looked to them.

"What's his name?" she asked, and Clara smiled.

"Christopher Steven Barnes." she mumbled, and the midwife nodded. She set the baby onto Clara's abdomen and dried him off before wrapping him up in a blanket and carefully setting a cap on his head. Bucky smiled at her, giving her tired hand a gentle squeeze.

"You did great. I'm so proud of you." he whispered, kissing her cheek. Clara smiled at him and turned to her mom, who was still at her bedside.

"Mom, if I made you go through that, I am so fucking sorry." she breathed, making her mom laugh, along with the midwife.

***

"Does it hurt Clara?"

"Not really mom. After all, they showed me what to do." Clara smiled, looking down at her son. The midwife showed her how to breastfeed, and she was following the instructions carefully. Bucky had puled up a chair and was seated beside her, stroking her hair.

"He's beautiful." he whispered, and as if on cue, Christopher lifted his head from Clara's nipple and turned to him.

"I think you should hold him." she said softly, and he looked at her.

"Are you sure? My arm..." he whispered, and she gave him a stern look.

"That arm and that hand have been caressing my baby bump for about nine months. You can hold him." she said, and he nodded. Carefully, he took Christopher from Clara, holding him gently.

"He's so small." he mumbled, causing both women to laugh. Just then, Peter entered the room, along with Blossom and Steve. Bucky looked over and smiled at Steve, and he smiled. Bucky handed their son back to Clara, and he leaned into her. Peter walked over and stood beside his wife, and tears came to his eyes.

"I'm a grandfather." he whispered, and Clara smiled.

"Yeah, daddy, you are." she nodded, and Bucky kissed her hair.

"He has your eyes." he whispered in her ear, and she looked at him.

"All babies are born with blue eyes. But he has a pretty good chance of keeping them." she told him, and he nodded, scooting closer. They were all silent, and Peter was slightly amazed at how the Winter Soldier was treating his daughter. He set his hand on Katherine's shoulder, and she smiled up at him. Bucky leaned over and kissed her softly, and Clara kissed him back, holding Christopher close. He pulled away slowly, and he lowered himself to the ground, holding her free hand.

"I know I said this a couple of months ago, but you never gave me an answer. And this isn't the ideal place to do this, but I need to know. Clara, we've been through loads together, in this past year, and you've made me feel human again. It's true, I've done things I'm not proud of, but with you, I can get better. And I think Christopher here is a prime example. So, Clara.... I feel silly doing this without a ring, but will you marry me?" he asked softly, and her eyes filled with tears.

"James..... yes. A thousand times yes." she nodded, and he grinned like a fool, kissing her hand.

"Thank you." he whispered, and she looked at him.

"For what?"

"For not being afraid of the metal on my body."