Before Midnight

Hello 👋. What you will read bellow is a quick one-shot made as a project for my creative writing classes. It was the first time I tried horror/thriller and I quite liked it so expect more elements like this one from now on in my works 🤣.

Hope you enjoy!

22:58

22:58

Something bumped in the jeep at the red light. A thud came from the truck, a muffled moan. Fleetingly, he sensed panic rip through him, his perfect plan ruined, but he composed himself.

He saw a lady exit her vehicle, palm over her forehead, to shield her face from the pouring rain. She rushed to his window, tapping on it, and with a long exhale he released the tight grip on the steering wheel, hitting the button to lower the wet glass only an inch.

"I'm so sorry! It's the freaking cats and dogs falling from the sky! It was too late to hit the-"

She abruptly paused. He raised his head, catching wide eyes that looked through him, to the seat next to him... to the bloody knife. A second moan erupted from the back to seal the horror setting, rising louder over the thunder.

His lids closed in frustration. He didn't have time for this. It was nearing twelve. A sigh left his lips as his ears caught the slow backtracking of the woman. Swiftly, he grabbed the cutter and jumped out.

When she was efficiently taken care of, she was placed on the back seat, the wound on her gut bleeding through her layered clothing. He shoved her legs inside, a crack sounding at the weird angle he was trying to force them. He shut the door with a loud thud, unbothered by the noise. His dominant sentiment was anger, rage pumping in his veins, rising as the rainfall picked up some more.

He glared at the trunk, his fist clenching over the knife, nostrils flaring.

You had to make a sound!

In deliberate slow steps, he approached the end of the vehicle. He slid a finger under the hood and punched a button. It opened, the overhead light switching on.

Anna raised her eyes, one swelled and bruised. She looked at his hand; the tears, a waterfall, increasing in volume and speed. Then she moaned in terror. She squirmed as far away as she could. She worked to draw her feet forward, tried to remove the gag. He had seen it all. He knew what to expect and the intention behind their actions. Erica, Jasmine, Clara... The list went on. Some lasted for hours, others had little fight in them, but their end was inevitable.

He leaned over her, grabbing the rope that held her bound and spinning her to her front, her plastered injury gashing fiercer. The sharp weapon pierced below her ear, a slit forming instantly, her cries worsening.