One: A Devil Among Devils

It was at this moment she suddenly awoke in this strange, unfamiliar world. Lucy had opened her eyes to the foreign sky above her head. She took a few seconds to watch the cotton-white clouds slowly pass through the endless blue canvas.

The sky was the first thing she saw in this new, awakened form. At first, the girl had no memories of who she was—or even how she ended up here—before she became aware of what was happening right now. Lucy lie flat on her back, resting on the rooftop of a small office building.

As she sat up, she paused for a moment to inspect herself. She slightly raised her arms to get a better look at what she was wearing. Lucy saw that she wore a long-sleeved shirt with buttons near the end of the sleeve. Upon taking a glance at her chest, she concluded that she was wearing a polo—with the addition of a black tie.

The girl was not wearing pants. Instead, she was wearing a black mid-thigh skirt with white stockings that went all the way up to her waist. Her shoes were like normal dress shoes.

With the help of the theme of her outfit, she was able to suddenly remember why she was here. Lucy was just about to get certified as a devil hunter, but she lacked more formal clothing for an interview—if there was going to be one. She barely had any money, after all.

She stood up and brushed the dirt off of her clothes. Without being noticed, she discreetly jumped all the way down to the ground and landed in the middle of an alleyway. Lucy then asked the nearest person for the direction of Public Safety's building.

That person was a raven-haired teenage boy who looked about her age. The male looked quite handsome. He like he was on his way to school, judging from the time it was right now and the aura of his attire. Six... maybe seven inches taller than herself, she thought.

"Public safety?" he repeated. With his thumb, the boy pointed in the direction behind him. "Their building is about ten blocks from here, just switch to the other sidewalk," he told Lucy. "You dress like the devil hunters there. Are you one of them?"

She shook her head in response. "I'm looking to become one though," she replied. "That's why I needed help finding their headquarters."

"Ah, if that's the case..." he started, "good luck, then. I hope you know what to expect as a devil hunter."
As he left, Lucy went into the direction of Public Safety after thanking him.

She thought about the last words he said to her. Lucy absolutely knew what to expect when you're a devil hunter.

Trauma.

Heartbreak.

Loss.

Grief.

Sorrow.

But this only happened if you became attached to your coworkers, which she will not be doing.
After all, she dislikes humans.

It is in the nature of all devils to have at least a slight hatred for humans, and a slight hatred for each other. Humans and devils have been enemies since the rise of humanity, even if there are times when they are willing to cooperate with one another. This is a cycle that won't end unless a link is broken.

Lucy is the "devil" devil—one that was birthed from the general fear of all devils. In recent years, they have been terrorizing humans much more than they used to, especially with the appearance of the gun devil the previous year. The more fear people have for all devils, the stronger they become. In turn, Lucy benefits heavily from this fear. She is not one to act on this power, though. It's her brother instead that does that.

Lucifer is his name. He reigns the supreme ruler of Hell. As one of the most powerful devils to ever exist, he has rivals to his power. In order to preserve it, he created another one of himself—one that would be bound to the Earth. If one of the two devil devils died, the other would be reincarnated to their counterpart's realm. They cannot exist physically in the same realm, which makes it hard to communicate sometimes.