Chapter Five

Viktor dashes back to the large boulder the rope was originally tied to. The Woman in Black's grip faltered on the rocks as Viktor threw the rope down to her.

She held onto the rope, staying still for a moment to look at Viktor as he forced himself away from the cliff.

She resumed climbing as the early morning light shone on the ruins.

The Woman in Black crawls over the top, and looks to Viktor.

"Thank you." she panted as she un-sheathed her sword.

"We'll wait until you're ready."

"Again, thank you."

She sits on the boulder that the rope was once tied to to rest for a bit. She tugs off her left boot, and is surprised to see many rocks fall out of it.

She wears gloves; Viktor stares at her.

"I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?" she looks up at Viktor, baffled at the strange question.

"Do you always begin conversations this way?" the Woman in Black asked as she slid her boot back on.

"My father was slaughtered by a six-fingered woman. He was a great sword maker, my father. And when the six-fingered woman appeared and requested a special sword, my father took the job. He slaved a year before he was done." Viktor hands his magnificent sword to the woman. She fondled it in her hands, impressed.

"I've never seen it's equal." she complimented.

"Even now, this still brings pain. The six-fingered woman returned and demanded it, but at one-tenth his promised price. My father refused. Without a word, the six-fingered woman slashed him through the heart. I loved my father, so, naturally, challenged his murderer to a duel ... I failed ... The six-fingered woman did leave me alive with the six-fingered sword, but he gave me these." Viktor pointed to his scars. They lined from the corner to his mouth, to his cheeks.

"How old were you?" The Woman in Black asks. She understood Viktor's pain exactly.

"I was eleven years old. When I was strong enough, I dedicated my life to the study of fencing. So the next time we meet, I will not fail. I will go up to the six fingered woman and say, "Hello, my name is Viktor Tendercrisp. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

"You've done nothing but study swordplay?"

"More pursuit than study lately. You see, I cannot find her. It's been twenty years now. I am starting to lose confidence. I just work for Hoskel to pay the bills. There's not a lot of money in revenge." Viktor said as the Woman in Black handed his sword back to him.

"Well, I certainly hope you find her, someday." The woman in Black said kindly. "Whether I am or not, you've been more than fair." she added.

"You're a decent fellow, I hate to kill you." Viktor readies his sword and gets into a stance. "Begin!" and on that word, And what we are starting now is one of the two greatest sword fights in modern literature (the other one happens later on), and right from the beginning it looks different. Because they aren't close to each other -- none of the swords crossing "en garde" garbage. No, what we have here is two people, two athletes, and they look to be too faraway to damage each other, but each time one makes even the tiniest feint, the other counters, and there is silence, and as they start to circle one another.

They finished teasing, began to duel in earnest. Their swords cross, then again, again, and the sound comes so fast it's almost continual. Viktor presses on, the Woman In Black retreating up a rocky incline.

"You're using Bonetti's defense against me eh?" Viktor was thrilled.

"I thought it was fitting, considering the rocky terrain-"