Habitat

Asian Water Dragons are found in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Burma, and Southern China in humid jungled areas. They're easier to find in warmer, dense climates.

They generally live around permanent, standing water, such as on banks of rivers, in rainforests, and in swamps. 

They are great climbers and can drop from branches into the water if threatened or startled. Submerging themselves for up to 25 minutes. 

Water Dragons live in areas with a higher-than-average humidity level ranging from 80 percent in the morning to 60 percent in the evening as well as, average temperatures of 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit at night, and up to 95 degrees during the day.

They like it warm, and moist. No surprise there, huh?!

Also, despite what has been said, they ARE NOT "loner" lizards

Also, despite what has been said, they ARE NOT "loner" lizards. The males are, and the females ARE NOT, they do best in a breeding pair with space to grow, or in a group of females. 

HOUSING -
Water dragons need very large enclosures, with a large water area for swimming and appropriate furnishings of plants, roots, and climbing objects.

Live plants should be checked for compatibility with the terrarium, non-poisonous as well.

If using a fish tank or aquarium you will need to provide your lizard with adequate wet and dry areas. Your water will need to be changed regularly as water dragons often excrete in the water. 

They can also be kept outdoors in aviary-style enclosures once adults. In colder climates, of course, a heating source is provided.

As juveniles, you can keep them in a smaller enclosure and upsize, them as your dragon gets larger and grows.

HEATING -
As with most lizards, your Water Dragon will require a good temperature gradient. 95 degrees Fahrenheit at the warm end and 75 degrees Fahrenheit or below at the cool end of 75 degrees is ideal but no colder at night.

If your tank is too cold your dragon will not eat and if too warm it can overheat and die. 

Infrared globes, daylight UV bulbs, and ceramic globes are all suitable as well. Make sure you monitor the temperatures in your enclosure at all times. A thermometer at the warm end and at the cool end is a recommended practice with all lizards. As well as, a water temperature gauge. I also employ timers for my lights, mister, and heating pads.

LIGHTINGWater Dragons require a quality UVB globe

LIGHTING
Water Dragons require a quality UVB globe. UVB light provides the dragon with vitamin D which is an essential vitamin for bone development. Without UVB and the vitamin D it produces, bones will not grow or become strong and the dragon will die an unnecessary, slow and painful death. Don't do that... seriously.

A good quality 5.0 UVB globe is recommended and should be on a daylight cycle of 10-12 hours per day. I have a warming night UVA light and heating pads on in the evenings.

I also provide a larger heating pad under the terrarium during the colder months where I live in Colorado.

Again, dragons do not like weather changes and can sense them. I try and ease their stress by adjusting temperatures to stay consistent with the requirements prior to weather changes.

HUMIDITY Chinese Water Dragon enclosures should have quite high humidity of around 80%

HUMIDITY 
Chinese Water Dragon enclosures should have quite high humidity of around 80%

This can be achieved by the use of misters or foggers, but having a large volume of water at the bottom, and using a good quality soil substrate, as well as live plants, will also all help to increase the humidity levels.

I have also added mealworms, and isopods in the lower substrate and soils to help clean fecal matter and keep bacteria. Keeping such things as Salmonella at a minimum.
This is important to me, as I have children in my home as well.

I have allowed my 'poop cleaners' their own areas in order to procreate and maintain a constant custodian-like presence as well as a food source within my terrarium.