Chapter Forty: A Dutiful Daughter

Dear Father

Lord Nérac has asked me to pass on the happy news that you will be a grandfather by late spring. He is pleased that I have passed this first test as his wife. In fact, Bruno never ceases to demonstrate his care and concern for my health and that of his future child. I asked, for example, if I might return to see you in Colvé for a brief visit, but he refused to let me out of his sight. I am, I must say, indebted to my husband for his protection of my interests. Were he not here, I am sure I would be a risk to myself.

I realise that you are so much engaged in your business ventures, father, that you will have little time for reading my letters, so I will be brief. I would simply remind you that I have not forgotten your deep concern in ensuring that I reached Dal Reniac so swiftly and under such close supervision. I hope to find some way to repay you for this in the future.

In fact, father, as I write this, I feel inclined to let you in on a little secret. I had been saving it up for your old age, but we are family after all, and families should have no secrets. Besides, I would like to explain to you how, as a devoted daughter, I hope I have done my own part in saving you from potential shame or harm.

You will recall how, in the past, you occasionally thought you had misplaced certain letters of business. And you know what kind of letters those were, father, do you not? You are a merchant after all and merchants must take risks. But such risks, father? Had some of those letters come to light, I am sure you would be facing more than just expulsion from the guild. And so, to save you from dishonour or punishment, I took those letters. You thought that it was servants who were stealing them to blackmail you. You even had some of them interrogated ‒ for which I am truly sorry. But I had to prevent them getting into the wrong hands. I did it all for your sake.

Of course, your decision to send me to Dal Reniac was so sudden that I did not have chance to retrieve them. But do not worry, father. I know where they are. You can rest assured that nobody, yourself included, will find them. Only a devoted daughter could have kept them so secure.

And so, father, I must go now. But I will leave you with the thought that one day I will return to see you again. I cannot wait.

Meracad