Chapter 2

Lieutenant Sulu and Lieutenant Commander Scott came to replace the tired Vulcans at 18:00 hours.
    Mac'hla was exhausted, both mentally and physically. Though she had been able to process her emotions before she fully felt them, it took quite a bit of energy to do it. They were very big emotions, after all.
    "Lieutenant," Spock said as the two walked to the mess hall, "You cannot allow your emotions to get the best of you."
    Mac'hla stared at Spock, "I did not."
    Spock raised an eyebrow, "You were crying."
    Mac'hla sighed and plopped themself into a chair, grateful to no longer be standing, "Spock..."
    "I do not know to what he was referring. But if it is distressing enough to elicit that type of reaction from you, then I suggest that you speak with the Captain and-"
    "Spock, I am completely capable of doing my job." they insisted.
    Spock sat across from them and studied their body language. They were unreadable, just like a vulcan should be.
    "Lieutenant," he said, quietly, "I understand that you feel obligated to do this, and I will not force you to withdraw. However, if your emotions become too strong, then you may confide in me. You and I are similar. I understand."
    Mac'hla was taken aback, "I do not think you can understand this, Spock."
    "I can try."
    This seemed so out of character for Spock. He always frowned on emotion... So why was he telling her to tell him about hers?
    "...Thank you, sir."  They said, a little stunned.
    "You are welcome, Lieutenant. One of the most effective ways of processing emotion is by disclosing it to others who may potentially understand them. To deny that you do in fact feel, would be illogical."
    She nodded, debating whether or not she should tell him.
    Yes, they wanted to. They would... just not here.
    Not yet.