Chapter 26: A Death in the Family

My hand slammed down onto the dock, followed by polluting water spilling from my throat. I coughed, the foul tasting water coming out in spurts as I crawled onto land and shuffled against the cement wall. Helena and Leon joined me a second later, spewing the same filthy river water.

Once I could finally gather my breath, I staggered to my feet, using the wall behind me for support. The train was in the river, a few of the cabins only partially visible as they slowly sank down. Plumes of smoke erupted from the wreckage.

"Did we finish it?" Helena asked, her voice hoarse as she stood up.

"I hope so," I answered, trying to convince myself of those same words.

"We did what we could," Leon said, his gaze snagging on me. I returned the look with a miserable smile. "Come on, let's go."

He turned, heading for the cement walkway bordering the shore. A set of steps that led back up to the city. The sounds of chaos grew with every step; screams, car horns, the bustle of the dense population. A few strong voices floated downwards as we climbed the steps, shouting orders and providing guidance to the people above.

The stairs deposited us on a small platform a few feet above the city streets. The BSAA and local law enforcement guided the evacuation efforts, herding the citizens along the bridges leading away from the city. Soon after the evacuation, they'd run a sweep of the city, but getting these people out of here is the number one priority. The faces staring forward were grim and hollow. Children clung to their parents with little more than a backpack and limp teddies.

"It's over," Helena whispered, more for herself than anyone. Even as the words hit my ears, they were hollow. It's not over, Simmons may be gone, but we merely cut the tail off the snake. The damage done on so many lives is irreversible, and the things they've endured will parade through their nightmares for years to come.

"Leon, we have a situation," Hunnigan's voice called through our earpieces, "Sherry and her companion have been abducted. Our satellites place them in an underground oil field about 80 miles off the coast."

"Abducted, why?" Leon said, a new urgency to his voice.

Abducted. The sharp word twisted in my gut.

"The files," Helena spat. Leon's eyes lit up as they shot at me. I shoved a hand into the pouch of my belt, producing the small microchip. Leon grabbed it from my palm and slammed it into his phone. We all leaned in as the screen came to life, and the downloading bar ticking by with each grueling percent. Files sprung up on the screen, a few photos accompanying them. My eyes scanned the words, my heart beating faster and faster with each word.

"The cure is...," Helena mumbled.

"Jake," I muttered, my eyes glued to the photo of him and the text beside it, the fog finally clearing from my mind. Jake wasn't just a stranger with 'one of those faces', he was Albert Wesker's son. I wanted to throttle myself for not noticing it before, they looked so similar. The curve of their jaw, the pronounced brow, hell, even his eyes held the same lethal sharpness. His blood is the cure, antibodies worth millions to the BSAA and every other bioterrorism agency on the planet, inherited from his father.

I picked up my phone, brushing the droplets of water away with my thumbs as I dialed Chris. He's close, he must be close. We need Jake, need him alive for his blood regardless of the monster that sired him. And I need Sherry. I won't lose her.

The phone rang, my foot tapping against the metal as I waited. Helena mumbled something beside me, taking a step toward the other side of the platform as Chris finally answered.

"Chris Chris–," My voice was hoarse.

"Mykie, where are you?" Chris clamored, the words practically slurring together.