A Deserved Explanation

Peggy's POV

"I can't keep this up for much longer, Howard. She will find out eventually." I knew this day would come, just not this soon. 

"Well, the sooner you tell her, the less it will sting. Just don't wait too long, otherwise it'll bite you in the ass. Trust me, I know." He said trying to give advice to me, while also trying to crack in a little humor.

 "I just want to keep her safe, Howard. How am I supposed to do that if she knows what's going to put her in danger?" I looked at him with frustration, but not directed towards him.

"Peg, Hydra hasn't been active since the war. It'll be okay." He said trying to reassure me.

 "I know, but I'm still worried. Just because Hydra isn't out for her, it doesn't mean no one else isn't. We both know she has the serum running through her veins. I can't afford to risk that. Howard, I love my daughter more than anything. I couldn't forgive myself if I ever lost her. I already lost Steve... I can't lose her too, it would be too much." I choked out, almost breaking down. 

"Listen, Peg. How about I spend some time with her for a couple days, so you can figure out how to break the news to her? I'm sure she wouldn't mind spending some time with me." I sniffled in response to the idea. "Thank you, Howard." I said looking at my friend in relief. 

At least I had time to figure out how to tell her the news. After all, it's not everyday you're told you have super soldier serum running through your veins, or that your father had been a famous war hero.

Back to Blaire's POV

I had woken up on time, thanks to mum. Got my uniform out of my closet, got dressed, made my bed, and hurdled my way downstairs to pack a lunch, and hopefully not forget it this time. 

A ham and cheese sandwich would have to suffice, along with water, and a granny smith apple.

"Blaire, make sure you don't forget your lunch this time, or I'll have to take it for my lunch instead." Mum called out to be in a teasing manner.

"I won't, I promise!" I yelled back.

I went to sit next to her at the table, when I noticed mum sitting with a cup of steaming hot tea in her hand, reading the newspaper. Although it wasn't from this morning newspaper, it was from April 18th of 1945?

 I didn't get to read much, as it was at an angle. She must've not noticed I was there, because she jumped a little when she turned around when she went to get up. Strange. Her senses are usually on eleven. Perhaps she's ill?

Either way she looked surprised to see me behind her, because then she gathered all the papers and tried to hide them from my view. Although I did manage to read the headline of one of the papers, before it escaped my vision. "Captain America Crashes Plane, Saves Millions." 

Why would she be reading those? Maybe she was just looking through old things and she stumbled across them. She probably found them in the back of her closet or something.

Her voice snapped me out of my thoughts about the old newspaper. "Blaire, honey? Howard was thinking maybe you and him could spend some time together. I have a busy schedule this week, and I don't want you to be home all by yourself. People are dangerous in this cruel world." She told me, trying to distract me.

"Yea? Sure I wouldn't mind spending time with Howard. It's been awhile since I've seen him anyway. So the visit would be a nice chance to update him on what's been going on in life lately. Maybe if I'm lucky, I can push him in the pool again." Just the mere thought about the evil plan had me grinning like an idiot.

"Blaire, you know what happened last time you did that. He wouldn't shut up about it for the next two weeks. We would be leaving tonight, so you would be there before tomorrow morning" She shut that idea down pretty quick, didn't she? And tomorrow morning? A pretty tan, here I come! But that also doesn't mean I won't not think about pushing Howard into the pool.

The car ride to school was uneventful, but sometimes the silence is comforting. Gives you a chance to think about life, or random shower thoughts that you'll most likely never have an answer to.

Walking into school was almost just like the car ride here. Uneventful. But note how I said "almost"? Well the event that did happen on my way to my locker was I had seen one of the snobby popular girls who always loved to call me "one parent freak" had had some weird combination of a drink, spill all over her uniform. That's my daily dose of drama. 

Back to the nickname. "One parent freak" doesn't make any sense. Plenty of children only have one parental figure, it doesn't mean they're any less capable than them. In the end it only reminds me that I can strive to be better, even without a father figure in my life.

Which brings me back to the conclusion that I still have no clue about who my father was, or how or why he isn't here anymore. Clearly mum isn't going to give me answers anytime soon for whatever reason.

A mystery still left to be solved on my own. Well, detective Carter is on the case. I laughed at my own stupid joke.

A few classes later, and lunch finally rolled back around, and yet again, Alissa sat down next to me. "So any plans for after school?" She asked, being intrigued. 

"Nothing much. I have to catch a flight tonight. My uncle got sick. so we have to fly down to LA." I said not wanting to give her too much information, since I just met her yesterday. Plus I wasn't lying too much, just manipulating the truth to an extent. 

A/N: And we've reached the end of yet another chapter! I hope you're enjoying this book so far, and I hope to see you stick around :D