I Already Did...

I arrived at my audition trying not to freak out about the audition or the kiss. I knew the kiss meant nothing but this audition was everything. While I was waiting to go in I facetimed my dad.

"Hey sweet pea, you okay?" He asked and I shook my head.

"I feel like I'm about to throw up." I said and he just gave me a sweet smile.

"Come on, you were top in the dance class at Julliard. You have been the best teacher at the dance school. You deserve this, you earned the right to be there." Jacob said. I took a deep breath and sighed.

"I'm so scared dad." I said and he shook his head.

"I'm sorry. I cant be talking to my daughter Jen right now. She isn't this weak or whiny...she is strong and brave. Can you put her back on the phone please?" Jacob asked and I laughed.

"I'm here..." I said and he smiled.

"You got this, you are going to be the best Rockette." Jacob said and I sighed.

"Jennifer Alexander." I heard my name called and I knew it was my time.

"I'm up." I said.

"You got this." Jacob said. I blew him a kiss and hung up. I walked up and followed the lady who called my name to the stage. I took a deep breath and walked on.

"Miss Alexander, how are you feeling today?" A voice called out from the dark theater. I squinted and saw 3 people sitting about halfway up the theater.

"I'm feeling great, thank you." I said.

"Sounds great, are you ready to get started?" The voice called out.

"Yes sir." I said and I took my starting stance at the music started playing.

🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻

I was sitting in the hotel with my head in my hands trying to not cry and ignoring any phone call that had come through. I heard the door open and I wiped away a few of the tears that had escaped, looked up and saw Chris come walking in and he was smiling.

"Well?" I asked and he smiled.

"I got it!" Chris said excited and I smiled.

"Hey congratulations!" I said and he came over and sat next to me on the foot of the bed.

"Thanks. I owe it all to you. You helping me this morning run the lines really helped me relax." Chris said and I smiled.

"Well I'm happy for you...really." I said and Chris looked at me.

"And you? How did your audition go?" Chris asked and I just started crying. Chris just wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into a hug. "Come on tell me what happened?"

"I was so nervous, but it was like I got out on that stage, and it all went away. I got overconfident, I think. I don't know what happened. I did great but when it was over, they said that would be all. I have been to enough auditions to know when that is said I didn't get it. I know I didn't get it. It was a wasted trip out here." I sobbed and Chris just held on to me.

"Oh Jen, you don't know that. Come on this is a big production maybe they just don't want to give too much away." Chris said and I sighed. "I have been on plenty of auditions like that. When I read for Captain America, I didn't think I had a chance. They basically laughed me out of the room." Chris said and I lifted my head from his chest and just looked at him.

"You played Cap for 10 years, I don't think they laughed you out of the room." I said and Chris shook his head and pulled out his phone from his pocket.

"Let me show you." Chris said, found a video on his phone and played it for me. It was him auditioning for Captain America and it was pretty bad. Once it was over I was fighting back a laugh.

"See...so your audition couldn't have been that bad." Chris said and I shook my head.

"I don't know Chris, I think it's a lost cause." I said and he sighed.

"You know what, no, let's go...get up." Chris said and stood up pulling me up.

"What?" I asked.

"Get up, get cleaned up. We are going out. We are in New York, right? Let's just go do something." Chris said and I shook my head.

"Chris, is that smart...aren't you kind of always followed?" I asked and he shook his head.

"Not usually in New York. Come on get ready." Chris said and I smiled.

"Give me 20 minutes." I said and grabbed my suitcase bulling out some normal clothes.

🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻

Chris and I left the hotel and started walking through central park. It was fall and I just loved the leaves changing colors and the smells of fall. I sighed and looked at Chris.

"Thank you." I said.

"For what?" Chris asked.

"Making me leave the room, making me forget about the damn audition." I said and Chris smiled down at me.

"No problem. It's not a good idea to sulk honestly. I know the perks and downside of sulking." Chris said.

"Are there perks in sulking?" I asked and he laughed.

"I guess not." Chris said. We were silent for a few minutes and I then looked at the ground as I walked.

"Chris...can we talk about it?" I asked.

"Jen..."

"No come on Chris, we have to share a room for 2 more days...right? You want this tension...this awkwardness between us?" I asked and Chris stopped walking, sitting on a bench we arrived at and I sat next to him.

"I'm sorry about the kiss Jen, really I am." Chris said and I nodded.

"It was in the script, right?" I asked and Chris shook his head. He pulled his phone back out and showed me the digital copy of the script. He handed me the phone as he looked at the ground.

**Nate looks at Mandy longing. He turns and walks away without looking back.**

I looked at Chris and he just sighed.

"So, you weren't supposed to kiss me..." I said and he shook his head. "They why did you?" I asked.

"I don't know...okay listen I'm not usually this bold or forward. It may seem like I am with what you see in the tabloids or whatever but I'm pretty shy. When you sat there and begged for a kiss as Mandy, I just couldn't stop myself. I know this seems dumb but from the moment I saw you there was something about you." Chris said and I just looked at him in shock.

"Chris I...-" I started to say.

"No, I get it, I understand. This is a lot and don't worry I'm trying to find a different room somewhere so we can just end this before it gets weirder. I didn't mean to make it awkward." Chris said and I shook my head.

"You don't need to leave the hotel Chris." I said and he shook his head.

"Actually, I do. Jen, after kissing you I don't know if I can stop..." Chris said.

"Who said I would want you to?" I questioned. Chris looked and made eye contact with me.

"What?" Chris asked.

"Nothing said I wanted you to stop kissing me. I only pulled away earlier because I didn't think you wanted to, I thought you were just doing it because of the script." I said .

"But now you know the script didn't call for it." Chris said.

"That I do." I said. Chris chuckled.

"I still think I'm going to move hotels or rooms or something. It's only smart." Chris said and I nodded.

"If you can find an opening." I said.

"I already did..." Chris said.