Chapter 16 - Halloween

*ring* *ring*

"Anthony, can you get the door!?"

"Don't worry, already got it!"

I thought that this year's Halloween would be different due to the news, those who has been clouding the vision of the town for the past days and casted a huge shadow of fear over the people living there. And yet here we are. Every second came a new child. Our doorbell has been rung a thousand times, that is what it feels like. I was overwhelmed by the crowds of children and silently hoped to have enough goods for all the 'terrifying' monsters out there. A small smile tugged on the corners of my lips nonetheless as I refilled another bowl, I was happy that the parents allowed their children to go hunt some candy down, even if they all watch closely from the street with judging and rather untrustworthy glances, which wasn't that pleasant. At some moments I really thought that one of them would take out the received candy, unpack the little package and then check for any hidden danger. But luckily they didn't do anything and passed on to the next house. And not all were like the few exceptions.

There were even some nice parents. For example Rick and Stewart, with their adopted girl. They both always have been the nicest men I've ever known, always came in with a smile and staying for a little chat. They did care for the fear that roams the street, but did not let that define or interfere in their life's or how they treat people. They both came up with their child and gave me a hug, telling me that everything would turn out good and that we shouldn't change, as we are all part of their little family. It felt good, knowing that there are still some people who care and that trusted friends like themselves didn't change or disappeared like some others. They even invited Anthony and I over for some wine and snacks, which I accept of course.

"Y/n! We need the other bowl!"

I snapped out of my thoughts, startled by the sudden voice I accidentally dropped the remaining candies. They fell to the ground, splattered all over.

"Shit", I cursed as a bend down and picked them up. One by one I picked them all up, cursing myself silently for my clumsiness, "Alright! Bringing it over!"

I walked to the front door, approaching a smiling Anthony and holding the bowl his way. He takes it and replace it with the empty one.

"I will refill this one now, can you do the door?", he questioned.

I nod. "Of course."

"Thanks love", he says and kissed the top of my head, before leaving me, "if something happens or you need help, just shout!"

"I will!", I answered smiling at his sudden sign of affection and just like that the door rang again. I opened the door overjoyed and just in a Blick of an eye my smile fell. There was noone standing there, no child, no parent, nothing. I placed the bowl back down and stepped outside. The coldness from the wind left me shivering at the doorstep as I scanned my surroundings. The children were still around, crossing each street and each house, not leaving out one, while the parents follow them close behind and chitchat the night away. Standing here on the frontporch made me feel weird. Something sinister was casting over me, leaving me in some sort of fear. Halloween always had something creepy to it and as for right now I understood what it is. A sudden flashback hit me straight in the face though. An activity that I did back in the days.

I bit the bottom of my lip, smiling like a fool as I remembered that someone just pulled a prank on me. It was something I did as a child often as well and how I always laughed my ass of if they stepped out to look around, thinking they were fools. And here I am, standing in their position now, acting like the biggest fool of them all. I held my thumbs up, signaling that they got me good if they happen to still be watching and then stepped inside. I shake my head smiling and let out a chuckle. I never thought that there are still some children's or teens left, who do that on Halloween. Not that I would mind, I thought it was fantastic and it was about damn time I get to payback all the sins from the past pranks that I've pulled.

*ring~*

The rang dragged out to three whole seconds before it fell silent again. I turn towards the door, whoever just rang the doorbell really wanted to make sure that we heard them. I put the smile back on and opened it. Noone there. I furrowed my eyebrows, scanning yet again the front porch.

"Very funny!", I called out to whoever just rang and closed the door yet again. I sigh, things are getting a bit more ridiculous now for my taste. And then the doorbell rang again, yet this time I bust open the door, not giving whoever pranked me the opportunity to run off again. Yet this time actual children were standing right in front of me with their buckets up.

"Trick or Treat!", they yell with smiles as they all looked at me.

I sigh, pulling a smile up and turning to the bowl. I bend down to each child, it was a rather big group. We had someone dressed as a ghost, another one as a vampire...there was even one dressed up as a clown, not a creepy one no, but a nice and friendly one. One of the children stood out though, wearing a white mask which looked rather creepy. As I gave them all their candy's and went on to the child with the white mask, I asked: "And who are you supposed to be for this years Halloween?"

He stared up to me, probably smiling behind his mask as he answered proudly: "I am the Boogeyman!"

I froze in place as he said that and ran off to their parents. Something weird got ahold of me as he said those words and didn't led me move, that is until Anthony pets my back.

"You having fun?", he questioned laughing as the kids walked off.

I got up again, straightening my back as I turned to look at him. I smile. "Yeah, as always."

He nods his head, turning away and approached the bathroom. I watch as he goes, pressing the bowl of candies tightly to my chest for some sort of support. I couldn't explain what was happening to me, maybe I was tired? Though as my eyes met the ground, I spotted something that let my blood run cold. I dropped the bowl, not having any control over my body at this very moment. A white rose, more bloody than all the others was sitting right in front of my feet, which was covered by the porcelain shards and candies. An icy cold breath then met the back of my neck, freezing me in place. My breath got caught in the back of my throat, silently choking me in place. I couldn't move, some would say that I was crazy for still standing there, for not doing something. But they couldn't understand the fear that was running through my veins in that very second. I was paralyzed. I couldn't think. Couldn't talk. That is when an cold hand found it's way to my neck, snacking it's way from behind. I was furiously shaking as it pressed down, not much but still enough to showoff some strength. It's thumb rubbed over my larynx ever so lightly, and I prayed to god that he wouldn't kill me. I knew who he must be. The killer that has been haunting our dreams. The one who casted fear over each house. The one who the police is looking for.