Chapter Five

(This will be the last chapter about the games events. The next few chapters will be about what comes after.)

The aircraft landed on a helipad in the middle of the ocean and the two got out carefully. And found an elevator that went straight down into the base below. "Go!" Chris ordered and they ran to it, stepping inside and hitting the button.

While it slowly brought them down Piers couldn't help but say, "There's irony for you." Chris turned to the pacing man. "A man who spent his entire life trying to destroy the world, and now... his son is the only one who can save it."

"And here I am coming to rescue him." Chris added.

"The man who killed his father. Like I said — irony." He stopped his pacing when he was directly in front of Chris.

"I don't know, maybe it's fate." This seemed to shock Piers, who turned to look towards the ground. Fate. He had never considered meeting Jake as fate, more so as a nuisance. Finally the glass walls around them revealed the whole underwater hideout to them. "It's been three years since I killed Wesker. I can't let this war follow me forever." Piers turned to his Captain confused as Chris turned to meet his gaze. "After we rescue Jake, I'm turning in my gun."

"What!? Wait a minute—"

"It's about time someone took my place. And I'd be honored if it was you." He spoke as Piers stopped just feet away.

"I... I don't think I'm ready for that."

"You've made it this far, haven't you?" (That's code for "I didn't get you killed yet") Piers turned back to him as the elevator reached its destination. Chris turned to the doors as they began to open. "All right. This is it!" With that they race through the doors and into the area.

As they go down the hall Piers asked, genuinely curious. "Who the bell has the funding to build something like this?"

"It's got Neo Umbrella written all over it be careful. Knowing them, there'll be some surprises."

"Copy that." They pressed buttons on a door and stepped inside, looking around curiously. "Captain!" They approached the several screens and controls.

"All right." He handed Piers his gun and went away to type in controls to release the imprisoned people. Meanwhile Piers stepped away, deep in his own thoughts. "I think I got it." Chris said as he stood up straight, bringing Piers back. To their shock an alarm began to blare loudly in their room. "They found us!"

"We gotta go!" Chris took back his gun and the two men looked for an escape route. "Captain, can you pinpoint their location?"

"They're in some sort of research bay. We can get there from the lower levels. Let's go get 'em!"

As Chris pushed himself into a small passageway Piers mumbled to himself. "Yeah, get them." As he crawled into the tunnel he wondered what Jake and Sherry must be thinking in that moment. Would they be afraid? Angry? Grateful? Would they even wait for them? Probably not, he snickered and cleared his throat at the suspicious glance from Chris.

"Piers! I need you to scope out an area for me!" Chris called as Piers joined him. He helped him jump the gap before jumping down. Piers was the distraction fire while Chris wound his way in the tunnels. "Can't get into the air ducts with these blades going. See if you can turn them off from up there."

"Roger that." Piers called as he rounded the bend, only to be fired at. He took cover and fired when he needed to until he could turn off the blades and Chris entered calmly. "OK, it's off."

"Roger. I'm going in." And so while Piers fought to get to the door Chris wound around to find an elevator to bring him to piers level.

Once the doors opened they stared quietly at one another before continuing. They went deeper in the place and then pulled apart the doors where they were attacked harshly by swarms of the J'avo. Which the two easily disbursed. They entered another elevator and shared tired glances as it descended.